Sick chicken died, worried about the rest of my flock

sturek

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
My hen, five years old, was sluggish and not feeling well. Her abdomen was swollen and I thought she was egg-bound. After a day and warms baths, she died, like it was a heart attack. I did an autopsy to see if she was really egg bound. She was not. Her poop was lightish green. Her abdomen was filled with fluid. Inside her cavity her organs were covered, like really covered in hundreds of small white bumps, and there was some yellow pieces of stuff, and darker greenish/gray lump. I don't know what this is, and if it is some disease I am worried about the rest of my hens (11 hens). About two months ago, I had a hen die - I had noticed that she was sluggish and not eating, and the next day, laying on the floor of the coop.
I am posting a photo, I apologize for the graphic nature of the photo, however, I am really worried about what this is, and how to treat it.
thank you for any information.

Attachments

• Large Marge autopsy 1.jpg
    Large Marge autopsy 1.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Large Marge autopsy 2.jpg
    Large Marge autopsy 2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 23
For starters, it's apparent that your chicken had a tumor causing virus. Which one is hard to say. It could be the leucosis virus or Marek's which are very common.

The bits of yellow material signify a reproductive infection, probably EYP, egg yolk peritonitis. The fluid in the abdomen supports this.

It's very critical you get these cancerous organs to a lab for testing for an avian virus since your entire flock is likely carrying it. Refrigerate them until you can locate the lab.

For starters, it's apparent that your chicken had a tumor causing virus. Which one is hard to say. It could be the leucosis virus or Marek's which are very common.

The bits of yellow material signify a reproductive infection, probably EYP, egg yolk peritonitis. The fluid in the abdomen supports this.

It's very critical you get these cancerous organs to a lab for testing for an avian virus since your entire flock is likely carrying it. Refrigerate them until you can locate the lab.
t

Thank you. I did save my hen, and I have contacted the local Penn State Ag Extension, and USDA and I am waiting for a phone call back.

That could be mareks cancer. About 5% of all hens get it.

The necropsy is a very good idea but be wary of advice if it is mareks. Places like that freak out about mareks and give questionable advice about what to do with your flock.

Thank you.
I had a young hen die a couple months ago, only 2 years old. I didn't do an autopsy, so I'm not sure if she had the bumps as well.
There is a different type of cancer too and both can hit at 2 years old

That could be mareks cancer. About 5% of all hens get it.

The necropsy is a very good idea but be wary of advice if it is mareks. Places like that freak out about mareks and give questionable advice about what to do with your flock.
Thank you.
is it contagious? are my other hens going to get it? do they need to be treated?

Back
Top Bottom