sick chicken getting sicker -how to know when to put her down

jilroberts

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2016
Blairstown NJ
my child's pet now unfortunately. need guidance.
she does not appear to be uncomfortable as she sits quietly.
she scrambles sometimes when we move her. my child does not want me to put her down, so it depends on if she is suffering.
she can't get up or walk now, still goes to the bathroom normally and eats and drinks iittle. no mites or anything.
she may be just old? probably 4-5. she belonged to someone else, and
we have had her 3 years. not the healthiest out of the flock either. over 4 days she cannot stand up now.

Last edited:
Poor little hen and her little girl. Never easy. If you are keeping her warm and clean and she doesn’t appear to be in pain she may have a chance. I always give mine a gentle warm bath when they seem under the weather. Towel dry and hair dryer on hot but low. Then I use VetRx as directed. Give nutrient water with a dropper. Make a mash of her food with some nutridench or the like. A little yogurt or apple cider vinegar are good too. If you think it’s her time. You can always gentley bundle her up and let your daughter love on her for a while. Get closer. Best of luck. Hopes and prayers she recovers for you all.

Last edited:
Poor little hen and her little girl. Never easy. If you are keeping her warm and clean and she doesn’t appear to be in pain she may have a chance. I always give mine a gentle warm bath when they seem under the weather. Towel dry and hair dryer on hot but low. Then I use VetRx as directed. Give nutrient water with a dropper. Make a mash of her food with some nutridench or the like. A little yogurt or apple cider vinegar are good too. If you think it’s her time. You can always gentle bundle her. And let your daughter love on her for a while. Get closer. Best of luck. Hopes and prayers she recovers for you all.
Can I ask what gentle bundling is, I have never heard that term.

When your chicken stops eating it usually isn't a good sign.
If you don't have it in you to put her down maybe a neighbor could do it for you?

What happened before she stopped walking?
What symptoms?

Do you have any pictures of your chicken, how she is sitting or lying? Reproductive disorders are very common in older hens and a common cause of death. Being lame could be from that or an injury, and Mareks can make them lose balance and be uncoordinated. Does she use her wings to move around? Does she scramble to try to runaway, but cannot get her legs under her? I have a lame hen that does that right now who I need to put down, but she loves to eat so well, I just cannot do it yet. Once they stop eating, look to be suffering, or the others start to peck them, that is when I think it is time. When you do decide the time is right, you may want to get a necropsy on her by your state vet, just to find out if it is Mareks or something else. Having a child, though, they may want to bury her.

You can usually get a vet to euthanize, or you can investigate the ways to humanely kill and chicken. There are various methods such as cervical dislocation, or cutting the jugular vein on each side of the neck, and decapitation with loppers.

Back
Top Bottom