Sick chicken help. Canker or wet fowlpox?

If you decide that you want some metronidazole, PM me your address and I'll send you 5 Flagyl tablets in the mail.

-Kathy

Dawg if you look in the picture on the left waddle in the back just below my thumb you can see one of the black "warts" She only has maybe 2 and none on her comb. This is what got me thinking about the canker as I read. I will be ordering the Fishzole tomorrow if I can't buy it locally. I originally thought it was a respiratory illness and started treating her with tetracycline. I kept noticing the dark spots inside her mouth but thought it was dirt she was having trouble getting out of her mouth due to congestion. It wasn't until this morning when I decided to rinse her mouth and was scrapping at the "dirt" that I realized it was sores. I feel like such a bad chicken mommy :(

I'm so frustrated. This is my first time with chickens and I thought I was taking good care of them. I have a nice little coup and covered area for them and let them free range in the after noon when I get home from work. I clean their area well and give them fresh water daily. I've had them since Feb and we already had Cocciodiosis which cost me $120 at the vet. My girl Cleo did make it though I'm proud to say...
Ok I saw the wart, didnt notice it before. It's possible to have both dry and wet pox at the same time. Did you get a chance to smell inside her mouth for a bad odor?
I understand your frustration, dont sweat it...there are worse things your birds could have.

I do go out and open her mouth and take a whiff... Not too bad. About 4 days ago when hubby and I were both picking her up and checking her out we noticed she had a BAD odor then. Not necessarily from her mouth though.... Not sure. I wonder if the smell part could have passed

Back
Top Bottom