sick chicken? Help

Gary Thompson

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
I have sick egg layer. Have give Terra-Vet 10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder
For 2 weeks. it was breathing with mouth open and weezzing after 1st week it stopped
breathing with mouth open and started laying eggs witch did not eat eggs. label say's
14 days max so gave one more week. Still weezzing gave 5 days off terr-vet returned
to coop and gets picked on heavily and still weezzing. separated back out. What next!
Concerned! Help! Gary Thancks:(
sad.png

Last edited:
http://hubpages.com/hub/commonchickendiseasesandsymptoms

Some
common respritory illnesses ... check the symptoms with your birds ... and remember - most of these diseases/illnesses carry similar symptoms, so the only sure way to diagnose is through blood testing at a vet. Many are not cureable and the bird will be a carrier for life. You can treat secondary problems though.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/65/gape

some info on gape worms ... they can cause wheezing and would not be affected by antibiotics. I believe Ivomec (pour on for cattle) will work for them, but not sure. The dose would be .25cc for small/bantams and .5 cc for larger birds. Or you can look up other wormer medications. I've never had to deal with them, but I've read that you can sometimes see them if you open the birds mouth and look at the back of the throat - they are supposedly red in color.

Maybe someone else on here will have more info for you.

It would help if filled out the "sticky" questionairre so there is more info on the problem you are having.... see the following - I copied and pasted it for you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Some important links to read:

Links to disease symptoms and information
Chicken Anatomy
Friendly Reminder-PLEASE Quarantine Newly Purchased Birds!

Thank you!

The BYC Staff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom