Sick Chicken, Need Advice

Italian-gal

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
Antioch, CA
I rescued 2 chickens about a month ago. One of them started becoming inactive about 5 days ago. I thought it was because she was about to lay her 1st egg. She has laid one every day for the past 3 days. About that time I noticed she doesn't want to come out of the chicken run when I open the gate. She was eating and drinking very little. Not walking much and laying around in the run. This morning she wouldn't even come out of the nesting box. I picked her up and her comb is not standing up and she kept closing her eyes. She just lays in my lap. Tried getting her to drink some water or eat a grape but she wasn't interested. Just laid on my lap with her eyes closed. I put her back in the chicken coop next to the food & water and she hasn't moved. Please give me some advise on what could be wrong and what I can do. Don't want to lose my Betsie!

Insert a finger inside her vent 1-2 inches to check if there might be a stuck egg. I would get some Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell vitamin tonic, and give her 2-3 ml daily, as well as offering her water. Give her some chopped soft egg, scrambled or boiled, since even sick chickens may nibble on that. A small bowl of feed with added water may also be tempting. Give her a general lookover, checking her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, or hard. Check the skin under the vent and elsewhere for any tiny bugs or lice/mite eggs. Look for any runny poops. Make sure that she is not being kept from eating/drinking by the others who may be higher in the pecking order. Dehydration can happen fast. Hopefully it is nothing serious, but around the age of laying, occasionally a chicken may exhibit signs of failing health or heart problems. Let us know how she gets along.

Insert a finger inside her vent 1-2 inches to check if there might be a stuck egg. I would get some Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell vitamin tonic, and give her 2-3 ml daily, as well as offering her water. Give her some chopped soft egg, scrambled or boiled, since even sick chickens may nibble on that. A small bowl of feed with added water may also be tempting. Give her a general lookover, checking her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, or hard. Check the skin under the vent and elsewhere for any tiny bugs or lice/mite eggs. Look for any runny poops. Make sure that she is not being kept from eating/drinking by the others who may be higher in the pecking order. Dehydration can happen fast. Hopefully it is nothing serious, but around the age of laying, occasionally a chicken may exhibit signs of failing health or heart problems. Let us know how she gets along.
I agree get vitamin in her and check for a stuck egg

Unfortunately my Betsie passed away within a couple hours of my post. I called the vet and he thought she might be dehydrated. I've been forcing liquid in her since she first started laying around. He suggested I make an electroylite mix. I ran to the store and got the ingredients he told me. By the time I got back, she was gone. My other chicken is doing fine though. Betsie was a sweet girl and will be missed very much. Thank you for your advise though

Back
Top Bottom