evisell

In the Brooder
May 21, 2022
A couple of weeks ago my lavender orpington hen started showing symptoms of illness. I’ve decided to make a post displaying her exact symptoms.

Her poop is yellow and gets stuck to her feathers often (i have to clean it off every couple of days).

She is not eating or drinking. She has gotten so light- feels like she’s just bones.

She can’t jump very high, certainly not into the egg box or her roost.

One of her eyes is sealed shut and her comb and eye area have small scrapes of blood.

I found yellow deposites of some sort of discharge stuck to her face near her eyes. they were little spots and very difficult to remove gently.

She is also very inactive and kinda just lays in the henhouse. We assist with as much as we can. we’ve isolated her so she doesn’t get picked on by the rest of the flock( they don’t let her eat or drink) and we’ve been giving her supplements and anti- fungle treatments.

I think she might have a yeast infection or maybe a parasite. we did have mouse problems in the coop recently.

please help me, she is my baby guys:( shes only 2 years old.

Welcome!
Parasites are something you can treat, so have a fecal run at your veterinarian's, and look hard at her at night with a flashlight, vent, under wings, and neck, for mites or lice.
Is her abdomen large, and either hard or feel like a water balloon?
Some things just can't be fixed, and two years of age isn't too young to have nasty abdominal issues.
So sorry,
Mary

shes only 2 years old.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

What is your location? What are you feeding including treats and supplements?

Is she able to stand and walk? When was her last egg? How high is your roost and lay box?

Yellow urates.. *can* be symptoms of liver failure.. Orps can be prone to fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. Can you post photos of your lady and her droppings?

How does her abdomen feel.. you say light.. does that mean firm and not squishy like a water balloon in her belly? Is the skin below her vent and on her abdomen light pink or angry red?

Did she molt over her past fall/winter?

How does her crop feel? Any smell coming from her mouth?

Sounds serious, sorry you both are facing this. Hope you get answers soon and that she recovers quickly! :fl

Edited to ask.. how long have you had her since she is two and your headline says new chicken owner?

Can you post pictures of your hen, her eye, and her droppings? Does she lay eggs? Do her crop empty overnight? Is she eating or drinking anything? Poultry Cel or NutriDrench given orally 2 ml daily can be a good boost with vitamins and electrolytes. Unfortunately some hens develop reproductive infections, cancer, and crop disorders. Check for worms with a fecal float, and check her crop to see if it is fulls in the evening, and empty by morning. Look her over for any lice or mites.

Welcome!
Parasites are something you can treat, so have a fecal run at your veterinarian's, and look hard at her at night with a flashlight, vent, under wings, and neck, for mites or lice.
Is her abdomen large, and either hard or feel like a water balloon?
Some things just can't be fixed, and two years of age isn't too young to have nasty abdominal issues.
So sorry,
Mary
I’ll take a look at her tonight for any mites. her abdomen is just really bony, she’s very skinny and light. Right now she’s in the garage with her own food and water, i hope it helps for now. I’m trying to do as much research as i can before i bring her to the vet
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

What is your location? What are you feeding including treats and supplements?

Is she able to stand and walk? When was her last egg? How high is your roost and lay box?

Yellow urates.. *can* be symptoms of liver failure.. Orps can be prone to fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. Can you post photos of your lady and her droppings?

How does her abdomen feel.. you say light.. does that mean firm and not squishy like a water balloon in her belly? Is the skin below her vent and on her abdomen light pink or angry red?

Did she molt over her past fall/winter?

How does her crop feel? Any smell coming from her mouth?

Sounds serious, sorry you both are facing this. Hope you get answers soon and that she recovers quickly! :fl

Edited to ask.. how long have you had her since she is two and your headline says new chicken owner?
So yes shes 1 of 4 of our first set of hens. we’ve had her for 2 years since she was a baby.

her abdominal does feel a bit squishy, not like a water balloon, tho. lower towards her belly is more bony. she isn’t red.

she hasn’t been laying eggs regularly, the one she did lay didn’t have a shell.
here are some photos
17D81201-A75A-4C17-BB03-5A871CECBC9E.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago my lavender orpington hen started showing symptoms of illness. I’ve decided to make a post displaying her exact symptoms.

Her poop is yellow and gets stuck to her feathers often (i have to clean it off every couple of days).

She is not eating or drinking. She has gotten so light- feels like she’s just bones.

She can’t jump very high, certainly not into the egg box or her roost.

One of her eyes is sealed shut and her comb and eye area have small scrapes of blood.

I found yellow deposites of some sort of discharge stuck to her face near her eyes. they were little spots and very difficult to remove gently.

She is also very inactive and kinda just lays in the henhouse. We assist with as much as we can. we’ve isolated her so she doesn’t get picked on by the rest of the flock( they don’t let her eat or drink) and we’ve been giving her supplements and anti- fungle treatments.

I think she might have a yeast infection or maybe a parasite. we did have mouse problems in the coop recently.

please help me, she is my baby guys:( shes only 2 years old.
17D81201-A75A-4C17-BB03-5A871CECBC9E.jpeg
4724E295-6A54-43C3-8BAF-3AC80FF421B7.jpeg
7A485B8E-3DA6-4500-BEEF-629EC5599A4A.jpeg

She looks to be molting and feeling very poorly. Her crop looks full, but you can see if it is empty by morning. Is it full and hard or puffy now? A sour crop or cancer can cause weight loss and a bony breastbone. Does her breath smell bad? Look in her eye when you can open the eyelids for any bubbles, foam, or pus. She may have been pecked in the eye, but some respiratory diseases (MG, coryza,) can cause swelling of the face or eyelid. Saline eye wash can be applied to the eye, and use a warm wet washcloth as a compress if her eyelids are stuck. I would give the vitamins, and offer some moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg bits, and a spoonful of yogurt mixed in the feed for probiotics. Cottage cheese works too. Are her urates yellow or white? They look yellow because of the yellow liquid in her poop.

Hi. A few things I thought of. If she has an injury with blood, she may need an antibiotic for infection.
Can you treat her for Cocci?

Do you have any new chickens from someone who may have brought an illness with them?

She looks to be molting and feeling very poorly. Her crop looks full, but you can see if it is empty by morning. Is it full and hard or puffy now? A sour crop or cancer can cause weight loss and a bony breastbone. Does her breath smell bad? Look in her eye when you can open the eyelids for any bubbles, foam, or pus. She may have been pecked in the eye, but some respiratory diseases (MG, coryza,) can cause swelling of the face or eyelid. Saline eye wash can be applied to the eye, and use a warm wet washcloth as a compress if her eyelids are stuck. I would give the vitamins, and offer some moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg bits, and a spoonful of yogurt mixed in the feed for probiotics. Cottage cheese works too. Are her urates yellow or white? They look yellow because of the yellow liquid in her poop.
Egg, you certainly give alot of good advice on care of her and things to check on!

I’ll take a look at her tonight for any mites. her abdomen is just really bony, she’s very skinny and light. Right now she’s in the garage with her own food and water, i hope it helps for now. I’m trying to do as much research as i can before i bring her to the vet

So yes shes 1 of 4 of our first set of hens. we’ve had her for 2 years since she was a baby.

her abdominal does feel a bit squishy, not like a water balloon, tho. lower towards her belly is more bony. she isn’t red.

she hasn’t been laying eggs regularly, the one she did lay didn’t have a shell.
here are some photos View attachment 3117335

View attachment 3117335View attachment 3117337View attachment 3117339
Is she doing ok now? My sapphire gem has a few symptoms similar to hers, and has been feeling that way for many months. My first advice would definitely be to take her to an avian vet, but I also know that not a lot of people have that option.

She might have gotten an infection in her eye, from being nipped or just scratching it on her own. If she’s losing feathers, she just might be going through a rough molt. My girls occasionally have intense molts, and aren’t themselves for weeks on end. I would also try to get her to eat anything she might like. Scrambled eggs always works for my girls, as well as poultry vitamin drops you could get at tractor supply. Above all, keep an eye on her, and spend a lot of one on one time with her so that she knows that you’re there for her :)

Back
Top Bottom