Sick chicken, pale yellow poop

LongRanch

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
Hi everyone, my 1.5 year old blue orpington hen has been very much under the weather. Lastnight, instead of roosting, she slept on the floor in a corner. I immediately knew something was wrong. Today she didn't eat or drink anything all day, just lay still, lethargic, her waddles looked pale. She was straining, her vent opening and closing, as if she needed to lay or poop. She had some very pale yellow diarrhea (almost white -- like sour milk) this morning, then nothing for hours, but when I tried to feel inside her vent to see if I could feel an egg, it stimulated her to have a bit more diarrhea. Normally she runs if I try to touch her, and she was allowing me to pick her up and gently massage her and look her over. She would eventually move away from me, but only to go lay down in the coop or under the truck, where she would lay for hours, and I couldn't convince her to eat or drink (even her favourite food, grapes). I thought she might be egg bound, as she lays every second day, and hadn't laid the day before, but I felt inside her vent as far as I could, and couldn't feel any egg, nor could I feel anything in her abdomen while I gently massaged it. I had to work, so left her to rest for a few hours, after which I set up an ex-pen in my garage and put in it a warm epsom salt bath, and I mixed up some food her her (one dish with bio-k fermented rice (probiotic drink) mixed with greek yogurt, coconut oil, and honey --- and the other dish with some cooked hamburger and garlic), a water dish (with some apple cider vinegar) and a bowl of water with grapes. I placed her in the bath, and within about ten minutes, she really started to perk up. Colour came back to her waddles, she was walking around in her bath, sitting upright. I offered her food and she gulped down some of the probiotic mixture, paying special attention to grabbing a few chunks of coconut oil that had hardened, and bits of yogurt that were stuck to the side of the bowl, and even took two bites of hamburger. It's not as much as she would normally eat by any means, but it seemed to perk her up. She is still not interested in water, but the probiotic mix would have given her a bit of liquid. Then she had her first poop in hours. Still pale yellow, but with some normal brown bits this time at least. I took her out so I could clean and refill the bath, and she exited the ex-pen and tried to roost on the door of it. She is still standing in her bath (not wanting to sit anymore, though I have tried to push her butt down), and seems much more alert. I attached a photo of what her poop looked like -- it's in the water, so probably not the best photo of it. With her doing much better, can I expect her to make it? I thought she was going to die today, she looked so terrible. :( Now she seems so much better. I think I'm going to keep her in the garage overnight and until she is 100%. Any other advice? Any ideas on what it could be? Google has so many conflicting ideas...

An update; Though she seems happier, she is still not well enough to go back outside. The water level remains the same, which means she has likely not had any water since the day before yesterday. She still eats very little. I ran out of yogurt so I mixed up the probiotic drink with some sour cream and honey, and I wipe some on her beak so that she gets a bit. I also mixed up a dish of electrolyte water, and have been dipping her beak in it so that she might get a tiny bit, whatever falls into her mouth, but she is not interested. She did eat a few laying hen pellets this morning but is still disinterested in grapes (her favourite food she never turns down). Her poop this morning was a very large pile of white and brown, and is a bit more solid. She still chooses to lay down and not move, and still seems to be straining (her vent opens and closes), but there is no egg that can be felt. She has more colour today and seems more alert, but wants to lay and doesn't move when you touch/feel her, which is still not normal for her, as she normally dislikes being handled. It is very hot outside and I was thinking perhaps she was getting heat stroke, but as far as I know that would cause an increase in water intake, and she refuses all water. I will give her another epsom salt bath tonight when I am done work, and continue to keep her in my garage where it is nice and cool. She seems content away from the flock, but she was never one to need company. Any advice would be appreciated.

Another update, hopefully this is good news... She just had this big green and white poop. Is this a broody poop? I really hope so, as I would rather she be broody than sick! She's never been broody before and I've never had a broody chicken. Would it cause her to completely stop eating and drinking for days at a time? She also hasn't laid since last Friday (4 days ago), and she is typically an every second-day layer. Maybe because of the heat? Please someone tell me that being broody is her only problem, I'll gladly get her some fertilized eggs or some chicks to make her happy.

My 15 week old is doing the same thing the past few days. green poop. barely wants to eat and drink. having to force food and fluids on her too.
hmm.png

Henrietta ended up being broody. I got some eggs for her to lay on. Unfortunately after laying on them for a couple of days, she strangled herself in the wire of the ex-pen... :( Total freak accident.

She didn't keep her eyes closed, but she did not eat or drink much for days. I had to hand feed her, and she would mostly refuse it. I ended up mostly giving her liquid type foods (yogurt etc) because I could wipe it on the side of her beak, and small amounts would go in her mouth. She even refused her favourite foods. I never saw her drink, and the water level never changed. At one point, she took a small amount of chick feed from my hand. Apparently some will get so bad they'll nearly starve to death.

Back
Top Bottom