Sick Chicken- Please help!

Southwestchickens

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2022
Over a week ago my hen started acting wierd. Self isolating, staring at the shed wall, slow moving, not recating to much, let me pick her up which she never does, eating less, drinking less, hasn't laid in weeks (but all my others have been molting so egg produciotns been all over the place), she has not molted her feathers are shiny and look super healthy, her comb was frost bitten and it was bleeding one monirng so I rubbed antiseptic on it and it scabbed over, now its flopped over and a little damaged at the edges but still red, shes laying down, drooping head and tail. Today she suddendly got way worse and I think she might die soon. I have no idea why this has happned, as I haven't changed anything and its been cold like this for a month already. I checked her vent and I couldnt feel an egg, so I dont think shes egg bound. Her poop is smaller than usual, runny and one poop was just water, slightly brown, the other had a tiny dark green bit. Please help! I would like to prevent this!
I copied the questions below from another post, so hopefully someone with more experience can assist.

How old is she? 1 year almost
How long was she broody? shes never been broody
Is she still broody? no
Is she raising chicks? no
Has she ever been wormed? no
What is your weather currently? below 0 at night and 20-40's during the day, all ohter 13 chickens are fine and heater in coop
Is she still confined? yes, isolated her this morning
Or has she been free ranging? we have a 20 by 20 fenced in yard where she roams
What do you feed her? I feed her layer feed from a local feed store, made by a man who knows a lot about chickens, she gets meal worms as treats and veggies
Does she get grit? yes plenty
Have you checked her crop? yes, feels empty

Shes a brown leghorn and the poop is so small, its hard to see but its the little green/black thing with some white stuff next to it!
IMG-5858.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-5859.jpg
    IMG-5859.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 3
Shes a brown leghorn and the poop is so small, its hard to see but its the little green/black thing with some white stuff next to it!
View attachment 2985606
Yeah she looks really sick.

Offer scrambled eggs, & give her some Nutridrench for some sort of nutrition for now.

How's her crop?

Well she hasnt eaten today so its empty. Ill try the eggs, she hasnt eaten anything today. Any idea what it is?
Could be many things.

She could be over loaded with worms.

Have Cancer.

A blockage somewhere in the digestive tract.

A reproductive system issue.

Bullied off feed, & water(Starved)

Really it could be anything.

Shes always been small and she seems the exact same size. I havent witnessed an bullying. Thanks for help! Do you reccommend deworming chickens? No-one has ever mentioned this to me and we are in a high desert climate so we dont deworm any of our other animals (reccommened by the vet).

It depends a lot on your set up. If you have a fixed run that they live in all the time, then yes I'd recommend worming everyone at least once a year. If they rotate to a clean run regularly then maybe not as your environment would kill worm eggs fairly quickly during that chicken-free time.
I live temperate with fairly high rainfall and humidity and I worm 2-3 times per year usually spring and autumn, with the extra dose as needed based on symptoms.

Shes always been small and she seems the exact same size. I havent witnessed an bullying. Thanks for help! Do you reccommend deworming chickens? No-one has ever mentioned this to me and we are in a high desert climate so we dont deworm any of our other animals (reccommened by the vet).
I haven't really had to deworm my birds that often, but it's not a bad idea to do so if you suspect worms.

Back
Top Bottom