Sick Chicken - Possibly Tapeworm?

lindsay44

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Hagersville, Ontario, Canada
Hi there, I lurk around here a lot but I'm new to posting. Hoping the collective wealth of knowledge here can help me out!

I brought 3 chickens home the other day. 2 Speckled Sussex and 1 Rhode Island. They are older, the Rhode Island could be as old as 3.

I've kept them quarantined from my other girls and they all seemed fine until about an hour ago when I noticed the Rhode Island was acting funny. She was on the roost and her rear end looked wet. I immediately took her off the roost and bathed her in a warm saline solution. Nothing really came off her except a bit of poop and dirt.

I've now got her inside in a cage by herself and can see more closely. Her butt looks like there is - for lack of a better description - giant flat pasta coming out of it. Could it be a tapeworm?

It won't let me post a pic for some reason, please take a look here: http://cl.ly/image/1K1C3V2K0o2V

I have NO idea what to do for her now. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what this could be and how to treat it? I would really appreciate any help.

Tapeworm sections are usually flat and short (see below.) With a messy vent in summertime, maggots can also be a big problem, and will get up inside the vent and kill, so it's good that you did the saline bath, and none came off. Dawg53 is the real worm expert on BYC, and he may chime in here. He likes to use Zimectrin Gold or Valbazen to treat tapes with multiple dosages, and also recommends withholding feed but not water for 24 hours before each treatment. Here are 2 threads--see post #7 in the first link and post # 5 in the second link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806524/prevention-cures-for-tapeworm-or-any-worms-really
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/890589/tapeworm-problem-need-advice-on-treatment

LL

Hi there, I lurk around here a lot but I'm new to posting. Hoping the collective wealth of knowledge here can help me out!

I brought 3 chickens home the other day. 2 Speckled Sussex and 1 Rhode Island. They are older, the Rhode Island could be as old as 3.

I've kept them quarantined from my other girls and they all seemed fine until about an hour ago when I noticed the Rhode Island was acting funny. She was on the roost and her rear end looked wet. I immediately took her off the roost and bathed her in a warm saline solution. Nothing really came off her except a bit of poop and dirt.

I've now got her inside in a cage by herself and can see more closely. Her butt looks like there is - for lack of a better description - giant flat pasta coming out of it. Could it be a tapeworm?

It won't let me post a pic for some reason, please take a look here: http://cl.ly/image/1K1C3V2K0o2V

I have NO idea what to do for her now. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what this could be and how to treat it? I would really appreciate any help.
That looks like a soft eggshell, not a tapeworm. Slowly and gently pull it out.

Boy , I can't see the forest for the trees! I looked at that picture, and totally ignored the egg membrane hanging out of the vent. Thanks for looking Jim! At least the OP will know what to look for if she ever sees tapeworm, LOL.

I feel so stupid but I never would have guessed! I pulled it out carefully, and that's exactly what it was, egg membrane. She seems no worse for wear, but I'll keep an eye on her just to be sure.

These three new girls have not been handled like my other girls and are still pretty terrified of me. It hasn't been an easy move for them. Do you think this is due to stress?

Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it!

Boy , I can't see the forest for the trees! I looked at that picture, and totally ignored the egg membrane hanging out of the vent. Thanks for looking Jim! At least the OP will know what to look for if she ever sees tapeworm, LOL.
LOL! Yes, I can't unsee that! Thanks though - I hope it doesn't come in handy down the road but I'm sure it will at some point!

Back
Top Bottom