TrisDratini

Hatching
Aug 26, 2020
Hello, I’ve seen many helpful answers to questions on this site for similar problems in the past and have found it helpful but this is more of a unique case I feel so I thought I’d share and try to get more opinions on what it could be.

I am posting this on my phone so apologies if the formatting is weird. The picture on this thread is of her and her siblings, when they were around two months i believe, they’ve grown a bit since then but I don’t have good pictures of them on my phone. (She’s the darkest one, her name is Coal)

My chicken in questions is a smaller breed, she siblings are silkies with the odd ball frizzle with whole feathers (I’m not an expert on breeds so my apologies). She, herself is a smooth feathered partial naked neck. Her siblings are also partial naked necks with the exception of two which are just silkies. She’s around 4-5 months old.

This started two days ago, I noticed the chicken wasn’t walking around much during the grazing period I was giving the rest of the flock, I noticed she sneezed a bit and decided to quarantine her and watch her for the time being. I could slightly feel her breaths due to what felt like something in her lungs (similar to how flem feels and you need to cough it up). She didn’t move a whole lot or make the casual peeping the others normally do, noticing she’s wasn’t eating or drinking we started giving her water with electrolytes and a hint of apple cider vinegar. The next day she wasn’t willing to walk around nor was she interested in eating or drinking so, once again gave her fluids and tried to get some food soft in the water as well. She never wheezed, just sneezed and sometimes you could hear the snot in her nose when she breathed.

She wasn’t improving so we went ahead and gave her some VetRX in the water as well, dabbing some around the beak to help her lungs. My mom insisted on giving her some antibiotics, a small dose of course. I don’t have the bottle in front of me but it’s branded towards cows and swine, injection only. We gave her hardly any at all due to how little she is and thought she had made and improvement with it.

Today she was perkier, held her head up more than yesterday and even walked around and was eating and drinking by herself. I figured “She’ll be fine in two or three days, the worst has pasted.” But alas she seized up when we were dabbing more VetRX on her beak. She craned her head back and flapped/spread her wings and her legs went straight back as well. It was very heart breaking. Two hours later she has another episode and all but jumps out of my lap where she’d be sleeping and starts seizing on the floor. She wasn’t injured by the fall and have located her to a better surface over night but I fear I’ll wake up to dead chicken.

When she had first been put in the chicken coop with the rest of her siblings (6 siblings and 3 slightly older chickens just by a month) she managed to wedge herself behind the wooden food house I have (Its like a foot tall with maybe and inch or so of room between the wire of the enclosure). I’m unsure of how long she was trapped for but she was hot, panting and refusing to put weight on one of her legs and had to be quarantined at that time as well, I thought she recovered well, no limp at all. She has full mobility like it never happened and am just including this so you have all the history.

I don’t have the heart to cull her but I fear I’m prolonging her suffering. She is my favorite out of the group and it breaks my heart to watch her decline at such a rapid pace. She’s resting now and I have hope that she’ll make it through what little night there’s left but I fear this isn’t the worst of it.

Any and all advice is welcome. I truly appreciate you reading this and my apologies for any and all spelling/grammar issues.

Attachments

• 6D11049E-64E7-46B4-90B1-A4668CA79BDF.jpeg
    6D11049E-64E7-46B4-90B1-A4668CA79BDF.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 6
how is she today?

Hopefully the vetrx will help. Other than the sneezing, it sound a lot like wry neck or a brain injury. A lot of show girls will have a vaulted skull and they are prone to injuries like that.

Keep her separated and treat like you are.

Keeping your bird separated will also help keep its stress levels down. Second, you'll need to up the bird's vitamin intake, specifically vitamin E and selenium (to help all the vitamins absorb more effectively). Vitamins should be administered two to three times a day until the bird's symptoms improve.

how is she today?

Hopefully the vetrx will help. Other than the sneezing, it sound a lot like wry neck or a brain injury. A lot of show girls will have a vaulted skull and they are prone to injuries like that.

Keep her separated and treat like you are.

Keeping your bird separated will also help keep its stress levels down. Second, you'll need to up the bird's vitamin intake, specifically vitamin E and selenium (to help all the vitamins absorb more effectively). Vitamins should be administered two to three times a day until the bird's symptoms improve.

Hello! Thank you for the reply, she’s doing better I think. She’s willing to eat and drink by herself but she did have three big spasms yesterday. She really only wants to sleep but I will defiantly be getting her vitamins. She doesn’t seem to have any more snot or breathing difficulties, definitely less sneezing. She talks when she hears a you and she puts up a fight if I mess with her face (trying to forced her to have water) so fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom