Sick chicken- treating for coccidiosis but need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabrina514, Nov 10, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

How much does she weigh? When I have a sick one I shoot for no less than 10% of their body weight per day. If you can get a tube I can teach you how to tube. Can you post a picture of her?

-Kathy

2. sabrina514

sabrina514 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    She weighs 384 grams (taken earlier today with my postal scale to get the weight for the oral drench). I will get a picture. Unfortunately nobody around here would carry a tube- only one place in the area had the Corid and no kind of medical equipment besides syringes and needles. But I'd love to know where I can get them so I can have them on hand in the future in case I need them. I'm trying to get an emergency care kit together so I can immediately treat anything that may happen later on.

3. sabrina514

Nov 4, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She might be big enough that you could use some aquarium air line.

-Kathy

5. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Info on aquarium air line. It's 1/4 inch outside diameter and fits the tip of a syringe quite well. But use the "silicone" airline as it is much softer and more flexible. Choices are blue and black so get the blue one as you can still see through it. The clear vinyl is to hard and rigid and can cause some discomfort because of that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. sabrina514

Nov 4, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    She's still so tiny I'm afraid it would be too big, especially when I haven't tubed before. She made it through the night, and I got almost 4ml down her first thing. I'm aiming for 4-5ml per hour. Going to do another drench later today too. She's not out of the woods by any means but she seemed a bit perkier this morning and it has been easier to syringe feed today than it was yesterday so I'm taking that as a good sign.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I find it helpful to weigh them every morning.

-Kathy

8. sabrina514

Nov 4, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was actually thinking of doing just that. :)

9. sabrina514

Nov 4, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    She is down to 374 g today but I'm still pushing the medicated water and am attempting to syringe moistened food into her (she seems to take the water much better than the food mixed with water). While doing this I noticed her crop is soft. The other chicken seems completely recovered- several normal poops today, eating/drinking normally, acting fine and firm crop. Is the soft crop an additional problem I need to treat for or is it related to the coccidiosis? I'm thinking this is why she might not be eating now.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Soft crop can mean it's just slow to empty, probably from the coccidiosis. Concentrate on fluids and maybe add a little sugar if you think that would help her energy level. What does her poop look like now?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by