Sick chicken with Marek? Read Read Read

ashloy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Hi All,

I think I got a bad batch of chickens for the breeder. Ever since I got them there has been problems.
My latest problem is my rooster started limping, I took him to the vet yesterday and he is antibiotics,
I have put my shell grit in there food and also vitamin powder in there water. The vet said that it is either a
lake of vitamins and shell grit or it Mareks. I got home today to find one of my other chickens with all the signs
of Mareks (poor thing). I have taken her out of the pen and all the girls look okay.

A couple of questions:

1. Can we eat the eggs that the other chickens are laying?

2. What is a good mix of food to feed sick chickens to help them get all the nutrients they need?

3. Can I give the girls and boy vitamins in the water everyday or should I fresh water in the coop as well?

4. Can you make a chicken overdose on vitamins in the water (it's been mixed with the right dosage)?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi All,

I think I got a bad batch of chickens for the breeder. Ever since I got them there has been problems.
My latest problem is my rooster started limping, I took him to the vet yesterday and he is antibiotics,
I have put my shell grit in there food and also vitamin powder in there water. The vet said that it is either a
lake of vitamins and shell grit or it Mereks. I got home today to find one of my other chickens with all the signs
of Mereks (poor thing). I have taken her out of the pen and all the girls look okay.

A couple of questions:

1. Can we eat the eggs that the other chickens are laying?

2. What is a good mix of food to feed sick chickens to help them get all the nutrients they need?

3. Can I give the girls and boy vitamins in the water everyday or should I fresh water in the coop as well?

4. Can you make a chicken overdose on vitamins in the water (it's been mixed with the right dosage)?

Thank you
I am so sorry you are going through this. I too had a problem with Marek's this year. It's a very hard thing to watch if it is Marek's [ the Vet can do a blood test to find out ].

I don't know if you should eat the eggs or not. I chose not to.

I gave mine the same they had been getting including 'treats' of pieces of bread dipped in vitamin electrolite solution.

yes they can have the vitamins in their water everyday. I never offered anything else, you want them to receive all the help they can get if in fact it is a vitamin defficency. Check the label and see what is in the vitamins you are giving. You might want to switch to poly-vi-sol without iron or Tractor supply carries a bottle of them you mix with water for around $5.

That shouldn't happen if you are mixing it properly. Remember, if they have a deficiency, they need the vitamins. I wouldn't double the dose or anything unless the Vet tells you otherwise.

Thank you both for your reply. I have been so caught up with helping my beautiful chickens I haven't had time to write back.

I took them to the vet and at this point we think it is a Vitamin deficiency, this is why the rooster is limping and my other poor baby has wry neck. We have been feeding them rare egg, scrabbled egg, lots of mealy worms, fish and lots more and putting vitamins in their water. Their appetite is slowly coming back. Fingers crossed for their full recovery. I'm just not sure how the little boys leg is going to recover as he walks on the underneath of it all the time now :(

Back
Top Bottom