Sick Chicken

natgrinks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2016
Hello!
I am new to having chickens into this forum. I have a chicken with a whitish goopy swollen eye and mucous in her beak that flies out when she shakes her head. No noticeable sneezing or coughing. Her bawk is a little off. I started giving her 800 mg of duramiacin in her water and Terramycin in her eye. She is isolated from the others. No one else shows sign of illness. I've had touble getting information. There is too much on the Internet. Please help if you can. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

The duramycin should help this situation. Are you putting in 1 tablespoon per gallon of pure water? You can't use hard water at all as it renders this drug useless. I will use either distilled or RO water.

Is she drinking it? It can take a few days for the Duramycin to take effect. Sulfadimethoxine is good for bad respiratory ailments as is Tylan.

I will get some distilled water. I did not know that! Thank you. Yes one tablespoon. I will take a pic as soon as I get home. I'm not sure how much she's drinking. She's acting normal and definitely still eating. Thank you so much !

We have well water if that makes a difference?
Are you in the US? I really recommend you do not use your well water on your birds. Nearly ALL of the US has hard water to some extent in their water...I watered my entire flocks for 5 years on our well water and one by one, I have nearly lost ALL of my flock due to heart disease and arterial hypertension! Hard water has too many minerals and salts in it and wow....my flock had heart failure horribly! I just figured this out over this past winter when I couldn't figure out why all my birds, including my quail will all turning up with flapping valves and heart failure! Oh it was and still is awful over here!! I switched to RO water for my entire flock now and some have healed over a bit, although many of them still have high blood pressure.

So yes, not only use good water for this drug but I would switch over to using clean water on your flock. Well water is way too hard here in the US.

Also, you can make a smaller batch for her though and not a full gallon. Change the water out daily and make a new batch each day. :)

Oh man! That's awful! No one has ever said not to use well water. Thank you! What is RO water? I will make smaller batches for her using distilled water for now. The other thing I've heard is that if she has a certain respiratory illness she'll need to be put down because she will always be a carrier?

Back
Top Bottom