appletrails

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
I read lots of helpful info here, but don't post much. I have a small flock of laying hens 19. Have noticed green diarrhea in one of the older, 3 years old, original hen. Lost her this week. We recently got some new pullets at an auction and they appear very healthy looking. We kept them separated for about two weeks. Could there be any connection to my older hen getting sick (green diarrhea)? We have lost hens before, but I have never noticed green runny poo, like this time.
We have also been feeding them a cheaper food, but it's still a good food, just not the very expensive organic variety we had been. Just could not afford it.
Any ideas on the problem? I seem to have a variety of new things going on and trying to pin down what could be the problem. I noticed another hen with runny pooo, and don't want to loose more. Thanks!!

Unfortunately the green poop sometimes means infection, body wasting, or new castle disease. Sometimes we aren’t exactly sure what happens to our chickens, weird stuff just happens. I would make sure that the auction chickens stay away from your existing flock for another 3 weeks just to make sure they don’t show any signs of illness before exposing them to your existing flock for a just Incase. I would also recommend changing your shoes between pens (poop is the leading cause of spreading disease) I know this might sound overwhelming but I like to take extra precautions.

Back
Top Bottom