Sick chicken?

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a ISA that is constantly getting egg bound I have been soaking her in warm epsom water. She will be fine for a few days then egg bound again. I give them the correct feed and oyster shell and scratch for a treat. Not sure how old she is because I got her from a local and was already laying. She just sits by herself and doesn’t appear to eat or drink. I brought her in to my bathroom and she won’t eat any scrambled eggs and just sits in one place. Any ideas on what may be wrong with her?

Does she lay the egg after being egg bound? What do you feed them? Do younprovide crushed oyster shell that they can take if needed to make hard shells. How long has she been sitting alone and not eating? Does she lay pretty regularly? Egg binding can be from a lack of calcium in the diet, dehydration, being overweight, holding the eggs in if a nest box is not handy, and some may suffer damage to the vent from laying too large of eggs, repeated bouts of egg binding, or vent pecking by other chickens in the past. She could be starting to show signs of a reproductive problem that is making her ill. Is her tail up or down?

Does she lay the egg after being egg bound? What do you feed them? Do younprovide crushed oyster shell that they can take if needed to make hard shells. How long has she been sitting alone and not eating? Does she lay pretty regularly? Egg binding can be from a lack of calcium in the diet, dehydration, being overweight, holding the eggs in if a nest box is not handy, and some may suffer damage to the vent from laying too large of eggs, repeated bouts of egg binding, or vent pecking by other chickens in the past. She could be starting to show signs of a reproductive problem that is making her ill. Is her tail up or down?
I feed the 16% protein layer pellets I buy from local feed store. I have crushed oyster shell out at all times they can get to. I have about 40 chickens and no others are doing this. She has never passed an egg after soaking her. It does loosen her tummy up and she then poops yellow yolk. She has displayed this behavior for a few days. I brought her in yesterday morning.
I don’t see evidence of any vent pecking and her tail is down.

Here’s some pictures of her droppings. She was in my shower but I have let her have the whole bathroom and she happens to like my rug.

Attachments

• B3FC018E-6CD7-40BB-8EB3-E438CAEA8FE9.jpeg
    B3FC018E-6CD7-40BB-8EB3-E438CAEA8FE9.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 2
  • EF0DA13B-F84D-4DC6-9F48-4CE13ACE9C91.jpeg
    EF0DA13B-F84D-4DC6-9F48-4CE13ACE9C91.jpeg
    638.8 KB · Views: 2
  • B8D8EABD-2563-48A8-BF34-3DE128ACA4BC.jpeg
    B8D8EABD-2563-48A8-BF34-3DE128ACA4BC.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 2
Yellow poops like that can be due to bacterial infection or liver disease when the normally white urates appear yellow. If it is infection in the oviduct, it can be from E.coli, mycoplasma, and a couple other bacteria.

Is she eating or drinking? Does she walk around? It can be hard to tell if one is suffering, since they hide pain. But if she is not moving and not eating, I would think that she probably is suffering, and it might be time to consider putting her down. Other chickens may start to pick on her.

Is she eating or drinking? Does she walk around? It can be hard to tell if one is suffering, since they hide pain. But if she is not moving and not eating, I would think that she probably is suffering, and it might be time to consider putting her down. Other chickens may start to pick on her.
She has been in my house for 3 days and yesterday she ate a little bit but this morning she is almost like crawling an inch like she is weak so we are going to put her down. This is my first time since owning chickens for a year that I have had to do this. So sad. Thanks for all of your advice.

Back
Top Bottom