Sick chicken

brown233

Hatching
Sep 23, 2020
I'm not sure what is wrong with my 2 year old hen. She would not eat with the flock this AM so I approached her and she seemed to be straining like she was trying to lay an egg. Thinking she was egg bound I separated her and have been giving her warm baths with epsom salts. I don't feel an egg inside of her; she is listless and keeps straining her vent area. She has had some poop come out and there is discharge also. She is not moving, eating or drinking. I felt up inside her (with gloves) and cannot feel anything there. What might be wrong with her? There is now a little bit of blood coming out of her vent area.

What color is the vent discharge? Has she been laying regularly? Any egg quality issues?
It is yellowish; the area near her vent seems swollen. She had been one of my best layers and is the nicest of the bunch. No issues with egg quality.

Can you get a photo of her butt with the discharge?

Meanwhile, give her a calcium supplement, at least 500mg. This will assist her contractions and if there's an egg she's trying to get out, this will help.

Here's the best photo i can get...will get some calcium tablets and mash them up. Will try to give to her with some water. I have been using a small syringe to get water into her.

Attachments

• IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom