Sick chicken

andrea70

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2016
Texas
I have a 6 year old barred rock hen who hasn’t laid an egg in 6 months. When she first became sick I treaded her for vent gleet. I re introduced her back to the flock & she seemed to recover. Recently she started staying in the coop, feathered posturing, not eating much & her sight even seems affected. I have isolated her again. She has no breathing issues, her poop seems normal. She’s eaten some blueberries & cat food. I feel like there is something more serious going on internally? Any suggestions? When do you start to think about euthanasia? I really hate to see her suffering. I’ve called all over & no vets will see a sick chicken!!

A 6 year old who was still laying 6 months ago is pretty impressive. She may have stopped laying. Many hens will suffer from reproductive diseases and cancer when they are over 3 years old. Has she lost weight in her breast area, or does she have any enlargement between her legs in her lower belly? Is her crop empty by morning before she eats or drinks, and does it fill up through the day? What were her symptoms that you saw? Is her tail position up or down? Pictures can help. I usually try to keep them eating and drinking, offering moistened chicken feed with a little plain yogurt mixed in, and a bit of scrambled egg bits. Once they stop eating, or if the other flock members start pecking or trying to hurt them, I consider putting them down. At least I separate them and try to keep them comfortable.

A 6 year old who was still laying 6 months ago is pretty impressive. She may have stopped laying. Many hens will suffer from reproductive diseases and cancer when they are over 3 years old. Has she lost weight in her breast area, or does she have any enlargement between her legs in her lower belly? Is her crop empty by morning before she eats or drinks, and does it fill up through the day? What were her symptoms that you saw? Is her tail position up or down? Pictures can help. I usually try to keep them eating and drinking, offering moistened chicken feed with a little plain yogurt mixed in, and a bit of scrambled egg bits. Once they stop eating, or if the other flock members start pecking or trying to hurt them, I consider putting them down. At least I separate them and try to keep them comfortable.
Her breast feels really skinny, I can feel her breast bone. Her crop I can feel now after just eating some. Her tail is down. No swelling that I can feel but definite weight loss. I can’t figure out if her eyelids are swollen or if it’s just that her eyes are sunken a bit from being sick? I’ll try some scrambled eggs. Yes the others were not being nice to her so she’s inside again.

I have a bigger bin but I’m cleaning it out right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom