Sick Chicken

Pics

DUccle Cottage

Songster
Apr 26, 2022
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Serama rooster, 3 years old, lighter and thinner than usual, and no exact weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Stumbling, heavy breathing, eyes closing, orange and yellow eye liquid, lethargic, weird voice, and he has scaly leg mites.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I found him in the back of the duck hutch a few minutes ago and I do not remember seeing him this morning but I have a medium sized flock. Likely he has had symptoms for a few days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
It seems he has an illness or disease.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I gave him water which he drank but he didn't eat the food I offered.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I don't know.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have not administered any treatment yet.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would prefer too do home remedies.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pictures below.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I have a chicken coop with aspen shavings.
F51411A7-2EB3-4FD7-80B4-77967FC7EB59.jpeg
9C9143EB-028A-400C-9433-7A5444968A4E.jpeg
5FCE002B-66E3-49D3-BEF9-D7D03BCE085D.jpeg

Keep him separated from your other chickens if there are any. He's contagious He may have a chronic respiratory disease (CRD). That would require Tylan or Tylosin to treat. The leg mites are easier. Soak in Epsom saltsfor twenty minutes and then slather castor oil generously on the legs and feet. It's a thick oil and it has antiseptic properties, and it will adhere to the legs and feet and smother the mites.

Good sign that he is eating and that you were able to feed him such high energy foods to help him stay strong until you have some more direct treatment options! It is good you found him and got him some immediate hydration and help in the case he is fighting a cold. Stay strong, Louie! Keep us updated as to what answers you get!

Does he have any lice or mites on his body too?
If he does, then you will want to get rid of those. Permethrin dust or spray can be used.

If you are unable to see a vet, then an antibiotic may help with symptoms. Tylan50 or 200 can often be found at TSC. If you can find it, get some syringes and a pack of needles. Let us know what you get. You won't have to do injections, but you need the needles to draw the meds from the bottle.

I would also get some Terramycin eye ointment. Flush the eyes with saline, then apply ointment in the eye...do this twice a day.

Address the SLM as previously suggest by Carol, the castor oil will help with those.

Keep him hydrated. Once drinking, then see if he will eat. Wet feed would be good, you can try enticing him with bits of egg too.

Green poop can be from infection or not eating. See if that improves with hydration, eating and medication.

Does he have any lice or mites on his body too?
If he does, then you will want to get rid of those. Permethrin dust or spray can be used.

If you are unable to see a vet, then an antibiotic may help with symptoms. Tylan50 or 200 can often be found at TSC. If you can find it, get some syringes and a pack of needles. Let us know what you get. You won't have to do injections, but you need the needles to draw the meds from the bottle.

I would also get some Terramycin eye ointment. Flush the eyes with saline, then apply ointment in the eye...do this twice a day.

Address the SLM as previously suggest by Carol, the castor oil will help with those.

Keep him hydrated. Once drinking, then see if he will eat. Wet feed would be good, you can try enticing him with bits of egg too.

Green poop can be from infection or not eating. See if that improves with hydration, eating and medication.
He does not have lice or mites on his body but a few chickens in the flock have feather lice and scaly leg mites.

The vet has not responded yet, but when they do respond, if they have an appointment available tomorrow he is 100% going. Should I still purchase Tylan50 or Terramycin?

I will purchase the castor oil tomorrow and treat the birds who have SLM.

He has been drinking very well from a spoon. He has aslo been eating egg yolk and canned pumpkin. I can make him a wet food mash in the morning when he wakes up.

Hopefully the green poop will go away soon.

Thank you!

He does not have lice or mites on his body but a few chickens in the flock have feather lice and scaly leg mites.

The vet has not responded yet, but when they do respond, if they have an appointment available tomorrow he is 100% going. Should I still purchase Tylan50 or Terramycin?

I will purchase the castor oil tomorrow and treat the birds who have SLM.

He has been drinking very well from a spoon. He has aslo been eating egg yolk and canned pumpkin. I can make him a wet food mash in the morning when he wakes up.

Hopefully the green poop will go away soon.

Thank you!
If you go to the vet, likely they will give you meds and eye ointment. If they don't, then I'd purchase the ointment and Tylan at TSC.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Update: Louie is doing better! After being lethargic and limp for two days alongside spoon feeding he ate and drank for the first time today on his own from food and water bowls. He even has clearer and bright eyes. I am ecstatic!

Back
Top Bottom