Sick chicken

Hope119

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
http://picasaweb.google.com/1034166...authkey=Gv1sRgCJPimtTioprw0gE&feat=directlink - I won't post pics here, because it is not pleasant (and takes a lot of time too). I was not yet able to get good pics, but she appears to be slow, and has like... maybe part of her insides are out now and injured. Her comb does not look good either. Can it be that she tried to lay her first egg (she is not laying yet) and part of the insides came out?

She is still very fast running from roosters who are trying to have a relationship with her (unfortunately, we still have 8 roos for 8 poor hens, two hens started laying few days ago and we have found 8 eggs so far).

Can she be infectious to others? What should we do? Put her in a cage separate from the others? Any chances for her surviving you think?

Thanks!

oh, and she is also dripping yellowish liquid from her bottom... less liquid than human pee... looks like pus
sad.png

we looked at her again - looks like part of intestine is out.

Last edited:
I'd use some preparation H and gently push the protruding parts back inside. Separate her and keep her quiet until she's better. Others may start picking and once theydo..... they won't stop till they kill her. Good Luck!

I couldn't tell much from the pictures, but from your description, it sounds like she's prolapsed. This is somewhat common and can often be fixed. But the amount of blood i'm seeing alarms me.

I'm glad you have her separated.

I would recommend cleaning her back side up really well so that you can see what's going on for sure. If there aren't any wounds there, you quite simply, need to poke it back in with probably your finger.

Honey or KY jelly or preparation H are good substances to use to help the swelling go down to help everything stay in.

The yellow dripping you mentioned makes me wonder if she broke an egg in there while trying to lay her egg. After you get her poked back in, i would recommend giving her a long warm bath and see if she can pass what's in there. You might be ready to help her if you see a broken egg shell or anything. That could be very dangerous for her. Then, i would recommend keeping her isolated in a dark warm place for a few days to give her a chance to recover and to not develop any more eggs for a bit.

Thanks for the answers!

I put her into a separate wire-floor cage this morning, she won't even see everyone else.

I have never cleaned a chicken before. How should I clean her bottom? Put her bottom into a basin with warm water water? Or try to wipe it with some cotton balls? Wiping will probably hurt, right?

I don't know (yet) what is KY jelly or preparation H, but I do have honey at home.

Did not see fresh blood on her today.

I would put her whole back side in a bowl/pan of warm water and just let her soak for a few minutes. You might have to hold her there, but she'll relax some because it will feel good. After she has soaked for a few minutes, just use your hands to free anything that might be stuck to her back side so that you can clearly see what's going on back there. You need to get her business pushed back in asap.

How do I know if it is already too late to push it back in? I don't really know how many days it was out like that.

About apple cider vinegar... they say it should be raw, but I just realized mine is pasteurized (although, unfiltered and organic). should I put some in her drinking water?

Back
Top Bottom