Sick chicken?

handmommy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Hi, my Araucana is sick. She's sneezing and wheezing. None of the others are sick. Should I seperate them? It's getting cold outside here (Northern WI) but we have a heat lamp in the upper part of their coop and their windows have plastic on them. She's making very sad little noises. Not sure what to do or where to take her? She's about 8 months old. Any help with this would be great! (To make matters worse, she's my favorite girl!) Thanks in advance!

If she's sneezing and wheezing its probably something respiratory so personally I would make sure they have good ventilation and separate her from the rest in case she passes it to them until she recovers. I once had a seven week old poland who got something respiratory and she died within two days while the rest remained unaffected so it depends on what you want to do. My poland's symptoms were worse than yours and she was a lot younger so yours will probably survive but isolate her and any other potentially ill if possible, if not then just make sure you clean them out regularly and make sure they've good good ventilation in the coop. If they're 8 months old and there is a lot then they'll just huddle together to keep warm so you probably won't need the heat lamp - up to you though.

Thank you! Now as far as the heat lamp, we do only have 4 chickens. I've read both sides of the opinion: that they should have one because there are so few of them. But also that they will acclimate themselves and should be OK. I hate that there's not one clear answer! I also worried that she could be sick because of the heat? I'm not quite sure how to seperate her either. I'll have to find a place for her. Thanks for the advice!

You need to take her to the vet ASAP. My favorite amaraucana hen died in less than a day and a half when she got the exact same thing! They will give you a medicine to give to her through her mouth! Hope I could help!

I did have her in the house today. She snuggled up on the couch (I know, I know) and she seemed much happier. I wondered if I should bring her in for the night? I don't want to overreact, but I would just never forgive myself if I go out to the coop in the morning and I've lost her!

I did have her in the house today. She snuggled up on the couch (I know, I know) and she seemed much happier. I wondered if I should bring her in for the night? I don't want to overreact, but I would just never forgive myself if I go out to the coop in the morning and I've lost her!

I hear ya... I have two sick ones in the house right now, one's one the couch, one's in a box.:D
I would keep her inside where she can stay warm.

Yea, just make sure you can get her to they vet A.S.A.P. and keep a close eye on her. Don't handle her to much and make sure she's comfortable. And then she should be set! Good luck ! I'll keep you and your chicken in my prayers! :D

I'd bring her in, and be a bit cautious of leavin' any sick bird remain w/ the flock. Apple Cider Vinegar is an excellent step to take immediately, and for all your birds, because it simply can't do any harm, and could potentially make all the difference ... mix four teaspoons into each gallon of water given (but NOT in galvanized containers). The tannin in ACV helps to 'cut through' the mucus, which allows 'em to expel it much more easily. As it aids in the removal of mucus and coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, it improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and any medication(s) that you might be givin' her.

Further verification of this can seen w/in the Solutions Used for Poultry link in my signature. And, while your at it? Click on that Diagnosing Diseases Based Upon Symptoms link as well, and study it over a bit ... she, or others in your flock, may display other symptoms that you've not yet detected, and it also serves to train us what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom