SICK CHICKENS!!!! antibiotics not helping PLEASE HELP no one around here knows anything!!!!!!!!

so MG it is :( now that i have searched online and on this site for it, i see that 50-75% of flox have this problem. sometimes dont show any symptoms. alot, if not most of the eggs we eat from grocery stores are MG+...according to my vet at UGA. im debating on keeping a closed flock or depopulating and starting over. my daughter is really attached to these birds as they all have names.....they are pets....but i really wanted to sell eggs to eat. i will allow none of my birds to go to another flock...the weird thing about this is not all of my "sick" birds came back with MG...so it doesnt sound like the MG is whats causing the symptoms.

You cant sell nor give away eggs for hatching neither. MG is transmitted through eggs which can infect someone elses flock(s.) Additionally it can be carried on your clothing, shoes, hands etc....you must maintain a closed flock and practice strict biosecurity if you decide to keep your birds. Personally I'd cull, disinfect everything, and start over in 6-7 months since you suspect there might be something else going on.

Last edited:
You cant sell nor give away eggs for hatching neither. MG is transmitted through eggs which can infect someone elses flock(s.) Additionally it can be carried on your clothing, shoes, hands etc....you must maintain a closed flock and practice strict biosecurity if you decide to keep your birds. Personally I'd cull, disinfect everything, and start over in 6-7 months since you suspect there might be something else going on.

I think many people that buy hatching eggs are putting their flocks at risk. I've thought about selling peafowl eggs, but I would want to have all of my birds tested first, too bad other people don't do this.

-Kathy

kinda goes without saying at this point dawg...but thanks for ur opinion...i guess

well the dogs ate my favorite hen last night....the one that comes up on the porch and lays the egg in her little tin pot for us every day. :(:( so with that said...im gonna go ahead and depopulate....my turkeys...guineas...everything :( cant they also be carriers as well? or do i not have to get rid of them?

Back
Top Bottom