Sick Chickens help!

You can find (Fenbendazole) Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or equine paste at TSC.

Dosing is by Weight.
To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. No Repeat.

Just finished the 5 day fenbendazole. So no repeat at day 10? I think someone else said yes so just confirming.

They’re definitely sick- extremely light weight; vet said 2-3 pounds and they’re usually 6-9. We have layers feed purina and have used TSC brand before; they love to forage (free range) and we give scraps.
But do they act sick?

No repeat if given for 5 days in a row according to Plumb's Vet Drug Manual.

Some do repeats, I never do. It's up to you.

1700194541807.png

Thanks! They aren’t laying and yes more lethargic. Just gave worms too for nutrition…starting to see yellowish soft stools like coccidia. Should I treat with corid? Or wait to stool test. This is so annoying 🤪

Thanks! They aren’t laying and yes more lethargic. Just gave worms too for nutrition…starting to see yellowish soft stools like coccidia. Should I treat with corid? Or wait to stool test. This is so annoying 🤪
Photos of the poop?

Are they molting?
The photos you posted a week ago, I see no lethargic looking hens. If they are in molt, they likely will not be producing eggs and they can be a bit slower, they are focusing on growing feathers. Weather changes, time of year, etc. also can affect they way hens act and how well they lay.

Yellowish poo can be from so many things from diet to worms to liver disfunction.
Adult hens really should not have much of an issue with Coccidiosis unless there's an underlying condition/disease that is dragging their system down.
Corid won't hurt them if you wish to treat them.

Thanks so much! I did just get some of that warmer so I’ll try it tomorrow for 5 days! Praying this is it- been 6 months with little to no eggs!
Hey @azygous ! So the second dewormer I think** helped; but we also did Corid AND sprayed permethrin 10 to rule out the itching as well as a few had yellow diarrhea so treated with Corid. We are desperate at this point after 6 months of no eggs!
I know how you feel. My flock are my babies, as well. Worming is a good place to begin. Good news is the safest worming med is also tasty (apple flavor) to chickens and they will usually eat it off your finger. Go to the feed store and buy a tube of Safeguard goat wormer. (fenbendazole) Give each chicken about a quarter to half inch of the paste each day for five days in a row. Repeat in ten days to two weeks.

Worms can cause a frowzy appearance and weight loss is also common as worms prevent nutrient uptake in the intestines.

Reproductive issues can also cause minor to serious health issues. Some can be corrected easily while others require an antibiotic. Let's not worry about that now unless you have a hen that is behaving sickly.
Tonight we separated those out to watch closer (stool, food intake etc) but look at this roosters comb. He is the one that is overall healthy looking…but still lower in weight. Are these mite bites?

Attachments

• D0AFB916-BA3D-4C7F-8E5D-5E9768BED363.jpeg
    D0AFB916-BA3D-4C7F-8E5D-5E9768BED363.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 7
Not mite bites. Long ago, my first rooster had those black dots. I have never to this day figured out for certain what causes them. At the time, I scraped a couple with a thumbnail and there appeared to be pus inside. Like a tiny, tiny pimple. Some pimples can be caused by staph bacteria. For my rooster, I painted Blu-kote on his comb and they cleared up. You might try that.

Thanks so much! I did just get some of that warmer so I’ll try it tomorrow for 5 days! Praying this is it- been 6 months with little to no eggs!
Hey! So the second dewormer I think** helped; but we also did Corid AND sprayed permethrin 10 to rule out the itching as well as a few had yellow diarrhea.

Hey @azygous ! So the second dewormer I think** helped; but we also did Corid AND sprayed permethrin 10 to rule out the itching as well as a few had yellow diarrhea so treated with Corid. We are desperate at this point after 6 months of no eggs!

Tonight we separated those out to watch closer (stool, food intake etc) but look at this roosters comb. He is the one that is overall healthy looking…but still lower in weight. Are these mite bites?

Just went out and looked at three chickens very closely and no mites anywhere- I think this is intestinal worms. If the last two dewormers helped but not 100% what would you suggest? Another round (3rd) or different type? Thank you so much @azygous !! Also how can I do a flush on the ones that look pretty sick? I’m assuming that’s what’s going on now, since it’s been 6 months.

I thought you said the fecal test was negative for worms. The value of a fecal test is that, not only can it tell if worms are present and in what numbers, but it nails the type of worms so that will allow you to choose what wormer to use. Some wormers do not work on all types of worms. Fecal tests remove the guesswork. Maybe I misunderstood when you said it found no worms.

Back
Top Bottom