Sick Chickens help!

Trinityoaks

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2023
Hey! I’m new to this site and joined for help. We are so confused! Glad to find this group.

We have 1 year old Barnevelders and 8 of them should be laying but stopped 6 months ago. We are thinking mites bc we don’t see lice and we’ve read mites can attack at night or hide in vent feathers.

We’ve tried permethrin spray (three times a week for two weeks), neem oil baths (we’ve done 5!) and they still aren’t laying and have pail combs. They’re obviously itching but have good appetites. Even took one to the vet and she suggested a respiratory infection but after THREE 5 day treatments nothing changed. And ideas? We did try DE and it didn’t help either.

I’m still thinking mites after reading so much but up for ideas! Feather loss only a tiny bit (not molting) but lots of dandruff from itching.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Did find this weird poop today but all the other’s poop looks fine!

Attachments

• 7B74FFD5-751F-4110-90E7-F55E7ACFCEFB.jpeg
    7B74FFD5-751F-4110-90E7-F55E7ACFCEFB.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 24
If you think you may have mites, the coop needs to be treated as that's where they live, not on chickens. You may confirm the presence of coop mites by going to your coop after dark and wiping the roosts with a damp white cloth. If you see lots of red smears, you have mites.

The poop may have salpingitis lash material in it. We can't tell from the photo, but can you confirm if that light colored material is solid like cheese? If you cut into it, it would have layers. It would be a sign one of your hens as a reproductive infection.

Thanks so much great info! The poop is dark brown now and most have it I’m thinking from antibiotic? It’s soft and slippery like diarrhea. The vet suggested another round of it to see if that would help. What is a reproduction infection? No one is laying but I’m thinking from whatever they are itching from and pale combs 🤷🏼‍♀️

Where or what part of the world are you in? I would suspect molting, and shortened daylight, but wondering about 6 months ago?? Could there be a hidden nest?
Thanks! Not molting the vet said they have fevers (everyone has feathers on). And no hidden nest but we have had that before! Actually fences everyone in recently to treat and no one is laying- moved locations to hopefully help with mites. Something is making them all itch a ton even during the day 🤷🏼‍♀️

If you think you may have mites, the coop needs to be treated as that's where they live, not on chickens. You may confirm the presence of coop mites by going to your coop after dark and wiping the roosts with a damp white cloth. If you see lots of red smears, you have mites.

The poop may have salpingitis lash material in it. We can't tell from the photo, but can you confirm if that light colored material is solid like cheese? If you cut into it, it would have layers. It would be a sign one of your hens as a reproductive infection.
@azygous we checked tonight and looks like no mites? Help please! They’re all looking so pale, bad dandruff from malnourishment, and getting worse. Only thing I can think is worms we can’t see in stool? What’s a reproductive disease? Thank you!! These are our babies 💔

I know how you feel. My flock are my babies, as well. Worming is a good place to begin. Good news is the safest worming med is also tasty (apple flavor) to chickens and they will usually eat it off your finger. Go to the feed store and buy a tube of Safeguard goat wormer. (fenbendazole) Give each chicken about a quarter to half inch of the paste each day for five days in a row. Repeat in ten days to two weeks.

Worms can cause a frowzy appearance and weight loss is also common as worms prevent nutrient uptake in the intestines.

Reproductive issues can also cause minor to serious health issues. Some can be corrected easily while others require an antibiotic. Let's not worry about that now unless you have a hen that is behaving sickly.

I know how you feel. My flock are my babies, as well. Worming is a good place to begin. Good news is the safest worming med is also tasty (apple flavor) to chickens and they will usually eat it off your finger. Go to the feed store and buy a tube of Safeguard goat wormer. (fenbendazole) Give each chicken about a quarter to half inch of the paste each day for five days in a row. Repeat in ten days to two weeks.

Worms can cause a frowzy appearance and weight loss is also common as worms prevent nutrient uptake in the intestines.

Reproductive issues can also cause minor to serious health issues. Some can be corrected easily while others require an antibiotic. Let's not worry about that now unless you have a hen that is behaving sickly.
Thanks so much! I did just get some of that warmer so I’ll try it tomorrow for 5 days! Praying this is it- been 6 months with little to no eggs!

Back
Top Bottom