Sick chickens, not sure what to do!! HELP PLEASE!!!

speedfreak

Hatching
11 Years
May 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hello all, I'm just new to this whole chicken thing. We've recently gotten about fourty chickens. Layer, don't know what they're breed are, and a few banties. They were bought in three lots at a farm auction, the first bunch we were assured were very healthy one year hens, then came the banties, and last about 25 older hens. Everything was going ok up until about ten days ago. We've lost seven chickens, and it looks like they're four more on the brink. What they're exhibiting: dirty looking, lethargic, nasal secretions, sneezing, a couple of the sick hens have bulging eyes where it looks like they're loosing feathers around them, they're stools are a runny, brown colour -- no blood that I can see and finally they just give up. Egg laying has decreased. I've started them on erythomycin antibiotic in their water, but am wondering if I am treating them properly, and if there is anything else I can do? Also, not all the flock are exhibiting symtoms, but if this is something that can spread I want to nip it in the bud. Tomorrow is barn cleaning day (that's where they're housed) and any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

erythromycin is good..
but they may need some Tylan 200 or Tylan 50 injectible..

it's possible they could have a combination of problems..

they could also have cocci..

best thing to do is get a fecal float done at a vet..to check for worms and cocci..

sounds like they might have Coryza.

check for mites..

might be too late to quarantine..but I'd still do that with any showing symptoms..

Last edited:
Hi, How are things going? Do they have mites? Are they skinny?

Sammi wrote:
sounds like they might have Coryza

Hi Sammi,
Could I ask what this is? I have never heard of it before!
Thank you and good luck, please let me know, Speedfreak, how things are going!
Crystalchik​

Well so far, so good, haven't lost anymore of the girls or boys, thank goodness. Started them on antibiotics, cleaned out the barn and dusted it. I'm just in the midst of getting them all dusted, what a job. But, I get a lot of satisfaction out the girls, so I'll do what I can. Tylan, is that something that you can put in their water, or does it just come in injectable form? Yes, and I'm just on my way to the barn now with a tube of neosporin. So, thanks for your reply. I'll keep y'all posted.

Quote:
Wow, I can actually answer this question.
ep.gif
Tylan 50 or 200 is an injectable antibiotic. I agree with some of the other posts it is probably a combination of a couple of things. The antibiotics and dusting will help somethings but you probably want to worm them as well. If some seem more sick you may want to get the Tylan 50 or 200 (not sure what the difference is). You can usually buy this and the injection needles at the feed store.
We recently had an outbreak of CRD (Chronic Respitory Disease) and lost on of our turkeys but everyone is on the mend with antibotics in the water.
Good luck with your birds, we are all pulling for you.
fl.gif

So how does one go about worming chickens? What to use and how to apply it? Thanks for your thoughts and comments. The gals who aren't sick are doing very well, and the four that don't seem to be doing so good, well, we'll just see. Thanks again.

Many people worm many different ways. If you think you may have a severe outbreak you can use one of three types of wormers. Ivomc injectable a cattle wormer, treats mites, most worms and parisites. 1/4 cc for small birds, 1/2cc for larger on the back of head or bare skin under wing, This is what I use. Fenabenazole a goat wormer, kills many worms but not mites 1cc per 10lbs of bird in the mouth. Amprolium liqud or powder is used for coccidia and it's prevention.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Just know that is it is something like Coryza, CRD, etc, they may seemingly recover with antibiotic treatment, but will remain carriers the rest of their lives and in times of stress, shed the disease to well birds. Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings this way, but you should know.

Coryza is a form of CRD..

but one of the main symptoms is swollen wattles and head..

here is a link for info about CRD :

http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1185

Tylan 50 and Tylan 200...the difference is in the amount you give..since it's a higher mg per ml then Tylan 50..
dosage is the same..(35mg/kg)
in other words, you have to use more of the 50 to get the same dosage.
there IS a powdered Tylan to put in drinking water..
Tylan products are usually found at farm/livestock stores in the livestock section, or online..
some sources are :

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/sc/

for initial worming you can use Wazine 17..
it only gets rid of adult round worms, and should be repeated in 10-14 days.

for a broad spectrum wormer you can use Ivomec/Eprinex..
it also debugs
for info:

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom