Sick chickens - please help!

MCathey

Hatching
Nov 21, 2020
Hello all, still looking for a little help. I posted a week or so ago that I have some dirty bummed chickens (four chickens - 2 naked neck and two brown hybrids are dirty bottomed, the other four of a different breed are not). They were all eating and drinking just fine. I have cleaned the coop and spread diatomaceous earth for mites or lice (while the girls were outside the coop grazing). Now, a few weeks later I have one chicken who is coughing and making some weird wheezing, congested sounds, while another one appears very ill and is lethargic and has her eyes closed. She allowed another chicken to peck at her and didn't even open her eyes. Again, all the affected chickens are the brown ones. None of the Brahma chickens appear sick or have dirty bottoms.
I live in Portugal and there is no vet to look at chickens. I can get meds through the local pharmacy if I knew how or what to treat. I am not sure what I should be doing. Please help!

How old are they? Do you worm them?
I have four brown ones that are about 8 months, three Brahmas that are about 5-6 months, and then one new chicken that is about 3 months. I have not wormed them and plan on going to the feed store tomorrow to get some. I was using food grade diatomaceous earth in their food since the dirty bums

Ok. Can you put electrolytes in their water?

Bathe their bottoms in warm, salty water. Blow dry if possible.

Have they been wormed? Is there a nasty smell around their mouths?

DE doesn't help with much... have you checked for mites? Permethrin, will do better with that.. make sure you clean the coop and spray it also..

What does their poo look like.. runny/bloody etc.. have you tried treating for coccidia...

Ok. Can you put electrolytes in their water?

Bathe their bottoms in warm, salty water. Blow dry if possible.

Have they been wormed? Is there a nasty smell around their mouths?
I have been putting ACV in their water. No smell near their mouths. I did bathe their butts about two months ago but it came back.
DE doesn't help with much... have you checked for mites? Permethrin, will do better with that.. make sure you clean the coop and spray it also..

What does their poo look like.. runny/bloody etc.. have you tried treating for coccidia...
Runny poo some of them yes. The new chicken has watery and red poo. I am new to chickens as we had ducks for years. They are way more hardy. I have not treated them for anything, not sure what to treat with. What do I treat coccidia with?

Update-- I treated all chickens with a wormer and an antibiotic from the vet. Cleaned the bottoms of the chickens that had extremely poopie butts (and dried them off well) . However tonight when I went to check on them, now three of them are coughing and sound congestes/wheezing. What do we do? Just keep treating them? Is there anything else we can do?

Back
Top Bottom