Sick chickens

Shelray

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2017
I have recently had 2 chickens die ( 10 month old leghorns) and I feel sure it is Marek's. I have another very sick and 3 others with no signs. I have moved the 3 to another coop. 2 are Wyandotte that are about 18 months old and a Americana rooster that is 11 months. Should I worry they will become sick and can I have them vaccinated now. My worry is that I have just received 7 new chicks and 6 were vaccinated and one polish bantam isn't. I was told the bantam was to small at 1 day old to be vaccinated. Can I take her to be vaccinated at some point. They are being kept inside right now since they are only a week old. I don't really understand how they got marek's. No new additions to the flock in over 9 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

Can you describe some of the symptoms you have seen with the chickens thought to have had Mareks? There can be several diseases that can look like Mareks. You could vaccinate the lone chick, but the vaccine comes in a 1000 dose package. It has to be used within an hour I believe.

To get a definitive diagnosis of Mareks, you would need to get a necropsy by your state vet who could then test for Mareks. If you do have Mareks in your environment, it will remain for the life of your present chickens and perhaps years beyond that. All chickens would be considered carriers, even if they do not show symptoms. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/mareks-disease/

They were holding their necks funny and not stretching them out, not very steady on the feet. Their eyes are very cloudy and they sit most of the time. The one that is currently sick has something dripping down her beak. I didn't think she was going to be alive is morning she seemed very lethargic last night but when I checked in her she is now standing but seems very disoriented. She has lost a lot of weight also. I hope I am wrong . I am worried about the 3 oldder ones that were in the cook together

Would my new baby chicks that are 6 days old be considered exposed to the virus. They have been inside my home since I got them? And should I think about giving them to someone to keep them from getting sick (all but the 1 bantam has been vaccinated.). Not sure what to do because my other chickens had free range of our whole yard that was fenced and the put themselves away at night in the cook. I have closed off the coop and immediate area but from what I'm reading it doesn't matter.

I would just be careful about washing your hands and change shoes and clothes when handling the older chickens, and when you go back to take care of the chicks. Chicks who are vaccinated can take 2 weeks to develop immunity to Mareks. There are many who raise chicks and have Mareks in their flocks. I have never dealt with it in mine, fortunately.

You may want to cull your sick chicken, and contact your state vet to see about getting a necropsy. Some chickens may be immune to the disease, while others are susceptible. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom