benniescoop

Hatching
Feb 11, 2022
On Saturday morning, one of our silkies was extremely lethargic. She wad off the roost pole earlier than usual, was laying on the ground and had her head and wings down. We spoon fed her water and we were able to get her to eat some of her regular food and some banana. She seemed more alert as the day went on, and started moving around on her own.
We kept her isolated on Saturday night and on Sunday she would eat a bit (hand fed or in her bowl), but was very sleepy and refused water.
This morning she is still sleepy and we've had to give her water through a syringe.
Her poops were very loose on Saturday (watery with some yellow in it), and now seem to be getting more formed (although they still have yellow in them). Any ideas what this could be and how we should treat her?

Also, Sunday morning we found our red sexlink hen struggling to walk. She refuses food and water and has been isolated from the others since we found her like that. She too has yellow loose poop. She doesn't seem as sleepy as our silky, she has her head up and is looking around. We gave her water by syringe last night, but haven't had any luck feeding her.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

How old are the birds? Do they lay eggs? If you want to treat for possible coccidiosis, get Corid liquid or powder from your feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water as the only water source, for 5-7 days.

How old are the birds? Do they lay eggs? If you want to treat for possible coccidiosis, get Corid liquid or powder from your feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water as the only water source, for 5-7 days.

They are around 2 years old. We didn't hatch them. We bought them in 2021 and this is the first time we've had any real health issues. They were laying eggs but stopped a few weeks ago because we had a lice outbreak in the coop. It was cleaned up, and now we are dealing with this.
Unfortunately the local feed store doesn't have any Corid.
I've found feed treated with amprolium .. do you think that might work for the one that is eating?

No, it doesn’t have enough amprollium to treat an outbreak. Where are you located? Sulfa antibiotics are also used to treat coccidiosis, although it is a prescription product. Corid is amprollium, and is sold in the cattle medicines. I would call some other stores to locate some. Or call your vet to prescribe sulfa (SMZ TMP, sulfadimethoxine, or Albon.)

What do we treat that with? We don't have a vet in our area. 😔

They are around 2 years old. We didn't hatch them. We bought them in 2021 and this is the first time we've had any real health issues. They were laying eggs but stopped a few weeks ago because we had a lice outbreak in the coop. It was cleaned up, and now we are dealing with this.
Unfortunately the local feed store doesn't have any Corid.
I've found feed treated with amprolium .. do you think that might work for the one that is eating?
You can order it online or have the feed store order it, the feed doesn't have enough Amprollium.
I'm surprised they don't have it, it's fairly common

No, it doesn’t have enough amprollium to treat an outbreak. Where are you located? Sulfa antibiotics are also used to treat coccidiosis, although it is a prescription product. Corid is amprollium, and is sold in the cattle medicines. I would call some other stores to locate some. Or call your vet to prescribe sulfa (SMZ TMP, sulfadimethoxine, or Albon.)
We're in Eastern Ontario.
We don't know of a vet in our region who treats chickens. It's been a rough couple of days here 😣

Back
Top Bottom