sick ckickens help needed urgently to identify problem

jbs16452

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
nowata
hello i have a few chickens that arent eating well and they snece and make rasping noices when they breathe their eyes also get caped with water like mucus that eventually seals up their eyes and puts them out plz help

please give more info so others may help. how old? what are they eating? bedding and housing? how are their droppings? how long have they been sick?
you should separate the sick ones right away so they don't pass it to the others. i would guess that it is a respiratory problem that would need antibiotics like tylan 50. do you have any? can you give an injection? hopefully someone with more knowledge/experience will help.

ISOLATE THEM IMMEDIATELY !! Get them as far from your other chickens as you possible can. Watch your other chickens for any signs of this and isolate them asap. If you do this when they are roosting at night, it will help you find the ones that are sick. If the ones that are isoated are not drinking, force them with a dropper of water and tetracycline. You can get tetracycline at your feed store. Ask the people what to use on chickens and how much. Do not use the tetracycline for more than a few days and then lay off, but continue with the water. Get some chick starter and feed this. Chickens seem to like this stuff. The poop will be different than if you free range or use chicken scratch, do not worry, it should be a brown color. Finally, when the ones you have start to recover, do not allow them back in the flock for a few days. You can use the tetracycline again, but just for a few days at a time. Give them some time in between to build up their gut bacteria and you can give them yogurt to get this going again. Good Luck and keep looking for what you may have.

If chickens of all ages are sickening and dying, you should call your state vet or local poultry extension help, and have one or more picked up and tested ASAP. If this is affecting all ages and there are multiple fatalities- before you start randomly picking and administering antibiotics- FIND OUT what you are dealing with. It sounds bad.

it is not alot of chickens just about 4 so far but there ages very all the chickens i have bought from the hatchery seem amune to this

Back
Top Bottom