1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick cochin,maybe???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Oct 2, 2009.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    my neighbor brought me over her sick cochin.she was going to put her down but knew i really liked her so shes giving me a chance to nurse her then i can keep her. :0) shes about a year i guess,her eyes are bright and she looks really healthy,just run down maybe and possibly depressed (if chickens get depressed).im thinking maybe the other birds are picking on her so i thought maybe start her on some yogurt and maybe vitamins.what do you all think?thanks for any suggestions...

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Is she molting? Does she have feathers missing? I bet that's most likely the cause. They sometimes get sorta droopy when they start molting. Is she eating okay? Is she laying? Molting birds don't lay much either. Molting girls need more protein, like meat bits, bugs, cat chow, etc.

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I try not to attribute human responses to animals; don't know whether chickens suffer from depression or not. But a little TLC, good protein feeding and vitamins certainly won't hurt her, and the close observation might identify some other underlying problem!

4. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i think the neighbor said she isnt laying.she isnt loosing any feathers that i can see.like i said she looks beautiful to me.what kind of vitamins do you reccomend and how much? thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by