Sick/dead chicken. Need opinions.

quail 247

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Okay, One of my OEG bantams was being bullied by another rooster, so I took him out, and put him with a couple of my pheasant, he was in there for 4 days untill i got rid of the bully rooster. When he was in with the pheasant, he got a little sneeze, wasn't constant, but it didn't just come and go either. We have really sandy/dusty soil in the pheasant pen, so I chocked it up to being that, and maybe it was just giving him the sniffles. So 2 days ago I got rid of the bully rooster, and put him back into the chicken pen. The sneezing died down. Well today, his sneezing was bad, as I was feeding I kept hearing him, and I looked over, and he was on the ground, with his wings out, trying to get his footing, he had a clear, syrup consistency mucus/water drainage coming from his mouth, his breathing was very heavy, then he got limp and passed away in my arms. All of this accured in about 1 minute. From the time I saw him, to the time he passed.

I have no idea what it could be. Everyone else looks fine, no sneezing ect. Maybe he had a cold? Or? Any opinions would be appreciated!

No one? I have a feeling, because he was drinking at the time, maybe as he took a drink, he sneezed, and maybe aspirated himself and basically "drowned"? So far no other chickens are showing signs of illness.

Okay, One of my OEG bantams was being bullied by another rooster, so I took him out, and put him with a couple of my pheasant, he was in there for 4 days untill i got rid of the bully rooster. When he was in with the pheasant, he got a little sneeze, wasn't constant, but it didn't just come and go either. We have really sandy/dusty soil in the pheasant pen, so I chocked it up to being that, and maybe it was just giving him the sniffles. So 2 days ago I got rid of the bully rooster, and put him back into the chicken pen. The sneezing died down. Well today, his sneezing was bad, as I was feeding I kept hearing him, and I looked over, and he was on the ground, with his wings out, trying to get his footing, he had a clear, syrup consistency mucus/water drainage coming from his mouth, his breathing was very heavy, then he got limp and passed away in my arms. All of this accured in about 1 minute. From the time I saw him, to the time he passed.

I have no idea what it could be. Everyone else looks fine, no sneezing ect. Maybe he had a cold? Or? Any opinions would be appreciated!

Sorry for your loss... The fluid coming from the mouth is often just part of the dying process as is the heaving breathing and flopping around. Where do you live? Maybe you can send him for necropsy? They're free in many US States.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom