Sick duck help

Tamaram

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
My duck was laying and not getting up this morning. We thought maybe she was egg bound. We had her in a warm bath with Epson salts, and some white goo was coming out of her which I thought was maybe a broken egg. I couldn’t feel any egg in her but her belly is very soft. She is laying in a seperstw cage now and drinking lots of water and making little whimpering noises as she is laying down??

Do you have any type of calcium? The best one is calcium Gluconate in liquid form 1 ml orally. But tums and other types can be used in a pinch the cal glu helps with contractions to get an egg moving.

Do you have any type of calcium? The best one is calcium Gluconate in liquid form 1 ml orally. But tums and other types can be used in a pinch the cal glu helps with contractions to get an egg moving.
I have calcium citrate which I’m about to give her. There is more white liquid in her cage that keeps coming out. She hasn’t pooped all day either.

It does sound like she is egg bound give her a good dose of cla citrate and do not hesitate to give more since it will help her. Did you go into her vent to feel for an egg? most of the time we can't feel one unless it's down close to coming out. If you have some K y Jelly you could try shooting some into her vent it may help to move it too. I am not sure if the white liquid your seeing is just the lubricant that comes with egg laying or something else. When they are laying there is a white liquid that works to help move the egg along.

It does sound like she is egg bound give her a good dose of cla citrate and do not hesitate to give more since it will help her. Did you go into her vent to feel for an egg? most of the time we can't feel one unless it's down close to coming out. If you have some K y Jelly you could try shooting some into her vent it may help to move it too. I am not sure if the white liquid your seeing is just the lubricant that comes with egg laying or something else. When they are laying there is a white liquid that works to help move the egg along.
I’ll try that as well. Thank you!

Keep us updated. When you soak in warm water no need to use Epsom salt for one thing it's a laxative and if she drinks a lot she'll have the runs. If she has already drank some hopefully it will help her poop but getting the egg out will help there. I have also read that placing them on a warmed towel [dryer] the heat and humidity it will produce can help.

Keep us updated. When you soak in warm water no need to use Epsom salt for one thing it's a laxative and if she drinks a lot she'll have the runs. If she has already drank some hopefully it will help her poop but getting the egg out will help there. I have also read that placing them on a warmed towel [dryer] the heat and humidity it will produce can help.
A lady at the feed store said she thinks the duck could have worms? Does this sound like symptoms of that? I check for worms in poop but haven’t seen any signs

You don't always see worms. Waterfowl with their high body temperature don't get worms like other poultry not saying she doesn't have worms but Dave Holddread in Book of Duck's says they would need to be kept in horrid conditions to have worms.
When did she lay last? does she get extra calcium like oyster shells? Do you feed layer? For now I would treat her like she is egg bound. Is she still having the white liquid coming out? I mean you can worm her if you want. My waterfowl get wormed when I worm my chickens because they all eat from the same feeders. I use a natural herbal wormer.

These ducks live in luxury haha and a very clean coop and lots of free ranging. they have access to oyster shells and layer feed. And treats. Lots of veggies. I took her out of the cage and she pooped out this clear liquid with white parts. (The red is a stain on the concrete
You don't always see worms. Waterfowl with their high body temperature don't get worms like other poultry not saying she doesn't have worms but Dave Holddread in Book of Duck's says they would need to be kept in horrid conditions to have worms.
When did she lay last? does she get extra calcium like oyster shells? Do you feed layer? For now I would treat her like she is egg bound. Is she still having the white liquid coming out? I mean you can worm her if you want. My waterfowl get wormed when I worm my chickens because they all eat from the same feeders. I use a natural herbal wormer.

7F5044CF-8929-41CF-BD98-ADDBD586789F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom