Sick Duck

Attachments

• 16460724673367790782128780223143.jpg
    16460724673367790782128780223143.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 2
Awe poor sad little drake. I hope having female company will cheer him up quickly

Sadly, it looks like you will have to do something about the sex structure of your flock. I had 4 rescues that could not be released to the wild. All had been together from being a few days to a week old. Three drakes and a muscovy female. The drakes started picking on the female about last November. Not trying to have sex, but excluding her from food and water and generally being mean. By Christmas I realised I would have to rehome her. She is now happily integrated into my son's pekin flock - he had one drake and two females. Little muscovy is actually ruling the roost with the two pekin females, which is somewhat surprising as she was the underdog with my ducks and she is so much smaller than them.

It should not be difficult to rehome your female as there is demand for females.

Without the female complicating relationships, your drakes will likely settle down although they will have a pecking order and one of them has to be at the bottom. I use a dog crate in the coop to reintroduce a duck to the flock. I always know when the dog crate is needed because of bullying as the unhappy drake stands outside the door to the coop at dusk and wont go inside. I currently have a pekin drake sleeping in a dog crate in the coop. He can cope outside during the day when he can run away from pecking. He was not happy sleeping in the house at night: he wanted the company of the meanie drakes. Within a week he has started going into the coop on his own and dashing inside the dog crate, with me following to close the door.

Awe poor sad little drake. I hope having female company will cheer him up quickly

Sadly, it looks like you will have to do something about the sex structure of your flock. I had 4 rescues that could not be released to the wild. All had been together from being a few days to a week old. Three drakes and a muscovy female. The drakes started picking on the female about last November. Not trying to have sex, but excluding her from food and water and generally being mean. By Christmas I realised I would have to rehome her. She is now happily integrated into my son's pekin flock - he had one drake and two females. Little muscovy is actually ruling the roost with the two pekin females, which is somewhat surprising as she was the underdog with my ducks and she is so much smaller than them.

It should not be difficult to rehome your female as there is demand for females.

Without the female complicating relationships, your drakes will likely settle down although they will have a pecking order and one of them has to be at the bottom. I use a dog crate in the coop to reintroduce a duck to the flock. I always know when the dog crate is needed because of bullying as the unhappy drake stands outside the door to the coop at dusk and wont go inside. I currently have a pekin drake sleeping in a dog crate in the coop. He can cope outside during the day when he can run away from pecking. He was not happy sleeping in the house at night: he wanted the company of the meanie drakes. Within a week he has started going into the coop on his own and dashing inside the dog crate, with me following to close the door.
I agree something has to be done about the boy gorl ratio. I tried and unsuccessfully teied tube feeding. The good news is he got a taste of what I was trying to give him (smooshy baby duck pellets) and the females quake changed and he started to nibble at it.

I am reprting with a sad heart. My drake died last night. The female is being very protective this morning. I am working on buying more females so she wont get over worked and additional firghting wont happen. How can I reintroduce her until then?

I am so sorry to hear this. :hugs
Do you only have one female now? If you keep jer inside place a mirror with her so she can see herself. Once you bring home new ducks place this one next to the new ones with fencing between so they get used to each other for a few days. They may take to each other right off but have a plan to introduce through fencing if it doesn't work right off. Many say quarantine first I'll leave that up to you if you know where your new ducks are coming from and how they are kept it may not be necessary to quarantine.
Just went back and reread I would not put her in with your drakes until you have more females

Back
Top Bottom