Sick duck

The other day thue I seen him on her in the cage and she didn't want it but she's the one crying and trying to get to him ... She's sticking her beak thrue the cage trying to get to him.. do I should put them together?? I am going to ?
I would not put them together at night. They will get used to the sleeping arrangements in separate cages. It's being "cruel to be kind" as it would not be good for her to be mounted by the drake at night.

Last edited:
Maryjeanash thank you for sharing the videos -- they are very helpful for us to understand what is going on

I think your duck seems to be improving on how she was on May 17. Her issue is chronic leg problems from long term lack of niacin and probably protein in her diet, and you are doing the right things now:

Durvet 1ml per day on a treat [for example mealsworms] so that you can watch her eat it.

Brewers yeast on her food: sprinkle on1 tablespoon on every cup of duck food

Feeding duck pellets: shie needs one cupful in the morning and one cupful later in the day -- leave any uneaten where she can return and help herself when she wants to.

It will take time -- could be months -- for her to get stronger again. Letting her exercise as much as possible in water is really important. It's ducky physiotherapy! The water takes the weight off her leg joints and allows them to move. She was moving both legs in the pool in your video.

I think that your "babying" her is good -- help her in and out of the pool as you don't want her to get an injury on top of her chronic leg problems.

It's good that she has an attentive drake that she wants to be near and he wants to be with her. Be sure that he doesn't start over mating her. And discourage him from mating out of the pool. Its better for her legs that he only mates with her in the pool.

We will be here for you long term as you nurse your girl back to good health and stronger legs!!
Thank you so much! !! Do you think I should put them together at night? Did u see the video of her crying

This seems like a hard situation. If he is mounting her in the cage at night that would be hard on her body - water is best. Ideally you would have some other females for them both to have company so they are not lonely at night or bored during the day. For the time being, if their cages are right next together all night they will be okay. I think @ruthhope has given good advice.

Thank you so much! !! Do you think I should put them together at night? Did u see the video of her crying
@Maryjeanash: yes I heard her in the video . I think you have to be "cruel to be kind" as it is bad for your duck to be mounted by the drake out of water. They will get used to their separate sleeping arrangements. It's more important that her legs are not stressed at the moment.

@Maryjeanash: yes I heard her in the video . I think you have to be "cruel to be kind" as it is bad for your duck to be mounted by the drake out of water. They will get used to their separate sleeping arrangements. It's more important that her legs are not stressed at the moment.
Is it ok to feed her a little cat food because she loves it so much.? She's only been eating like a a cup of the ducks feed with the breyers yeast in it because I take the other half and I put it up to her in the yard and it's still there when I get it so she's kind of quit eating a little bit

I will let others weigh in on that as I know nothing about it, other than I have read of others feeding cat food, just not sure how much or how long. But, that sounds like the perfect thing to add the liquid vitamin B complex to, or the brewer's yeast, if it's wet food.

If she is eating a cup of duck food with brewer's yeast, I think you might be able to tempt her to eat more by offering a mix of cat food and duck food. I would avoid offering just cat food as she needs to learn to eat and like duck food. So mix the food together half and half.

If she is eating a cup of duck food with brewer's yeast, I think you might be able to tempt her to eat more by offering a mix of cat food and duck food. I would avoid offering just cat food as she needs to learn to eat and like duck food. So mix the food together half and half.

This seems like a hard situation. If he is mounting her in the cage at night that would be hard on her body - water is best. Ideally you would have some other females for them both to have company so they are not lonely at night or bored during the day. For the time being, if their cages are right next together all night they will be okay. I think @ruthhope has given good advice.

Is it ok to feed her a little cat food because she loves it so much.? She's only been eating like a a cup of the ducks feed with the breyers yeast in it because I take the other half and I put it up to her in the yard and it's still there when I get it so she's kind of quit eating a little bit

Back
Top Bottom