Sick duckie

Hi CB Man & Woman --- I didn't want you to think that I abandoned you. The staff is editing my posts because someone can't take criticism. This is a waste of my time to have them turn valid points into gibberish.

I will leave you with a few points to research: 1 do not use soft wood shavings as they contain aromatic hydrocarbons that cause liver damage. 2 easily compacted bedding such as the shavings you use foster the growth of fungus & molds. 3 there are many mycotoxins; your duck is fighting one in a family that causes seizures - I can't be more specific without a culture. It isn't one of the aspergillosis as they produce respiratory symptoms. Unless, this gasping you have described in the duck is constant .... when we just thought it was him taking his last breath. You can see why cultures are needed for an exact diagnosis.

Your duck is in good hands; I know you will do right by him. I hope for the best but fear the worst.

I wish the best of luck to you and yours. I will go from the dark into the light.

Hi CB Man & Woman --- I didn't want you to think that I abandoned you. The staff is editing my posts because someone can't take criticism. This is a waste of my time to have them turn valid points into gibberish.

I will leave you with a few points to research: 1 do not use soft wood shavings as they contain aromatic hydrocarbons that cause liver damage. 2 easily compacted bedding such as the shavings you use foster the growth of fungus & molds. 3 there are many mycotoxins; your duck is fighting one in a family that causes seizures - I can't be more specific without a culture. It isn't one of the aspergillosis as they produce respiratory symptoms. Unless, this gasping you have described in the duck is constant .... when we just thought it was him taking his last breath. You can see why cultures are needed for an exact diagnosis.

Your duck is in good hands; I know you will do right by him. I hope for the best but fear the worst.

I wish the best of luck to you and yours. I will go from the dark into the light.
What do you use for bedding BH?

Hi, CB Man --- I have a list of symptoms that I want you to carefully consider in regard to your sick duckie.

In no particular order:
Lethargy
Loss of appetite
Gasping
Convulsions
occassionally the organism invades the brain causing paralysis or other central nervous system symptoms.

If we nailed it, there is no treatment but you can make changes to prevent it. There is a high mortality rate in YOUNG birds.

I will check back with you. TAKE CARE!

Hi, CB Man --- I have a list of symptoms that I want you to carefully consider in regard to your sick duckie.

In no particular order:
Lethargy
Loss of appetite
Gasping
Convulsions
occassionally the organism invades the brain causing paralysis or other central nervous system symptoms.

If we nailed it, there is no treatment but you can make changes to prevent it. There is a high mortality rate in YOUNG birds.

I will check back with you. TAKE CARE!
Why do you do this BH? why can't you just tell it all at once instead of saying a few things just leaving the person hanging?
If you honestly have something to share that may save this ducklings life or someone else's why not just say it?

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone for all the help and support. I am glad I found this place. Wished I would have found it sooner.
Miss Lydia is right.... Not to be mean blackberry H but I was pretty excited to hear from you when you listed off all your achievements as I am pretty new at raising ducks let alone dealing with disease and if you were right it wasn't botulism. All your posts seemed to be random listing of symptoms and I have read through symptoms of these diseases. Some helpful suggestions would have been nice what to try and feed him.
Or maybe the editing staff did cut out all the good info. Maybe BYC doesn't want to hear blatant medical truth.
I know it wasn't looking good for the little guy but I was looking for any help and anything to try. Blackberry H send me a message sometime to explain where you were going with this.

Thanks again everyone. We did all we could but didn't know what we were dealing with early enough. It crept in so slow in the beginning I just thought he had weak legs.

He passed on last night.
We will be taking him to Michigan State on Monday hopefully for some answers.

Much appreciation

Brian

I'm so sorry to hear this..
hugs.gif
please let us know what you find out..

Hello, CB Man --- I just have a few minutes but I want to say that I am sorry for your loss . There is no winning when you are against Mycotoxicosis.

I hope the necropsy gives you the answers you need. It should show nodules or lesions in the respiratory passages or body cavity. They can even look at the fungus under a microscope.

To prevent this, all you need is the info in post #71 & 74. In case you have any questions, I will PM my email add to you. I am sorry if you missed the info on food, water & electrolytes, etc in post #54. And, yes, there were alot of symptoms to go thru to eliminate..... well, never mind. Now is not the time for that.

Take Care & All My Best

Back
Top Bottom