1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Duckling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sidhe13, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Sidhe13

Sidhe13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a duckling that was acting a little off this morning. In 10hrs s/he has confirmed that s/he is unwell.

Symptoms are: lack of appetite, neck spasms pulling to the left side, sleepy and inactive. Makes a "chewing" motion before and after the spasm. Sometimes after a particularly bad spasm s/he makes a squeaking, pained noise.

Still walking fine, just not much, and can still run when necessary. No noticable discolourations or injuries. Crop feels empty. Is pooping normal (fr a duck who hasn't eaten or drank much). Ears and eyes are clear, nostrils appear clear, I opened her/his mouth and couldn't see anything lodged in there.

Any advice? S/he is in quarantine (a box beside me) and will be started on garlic and honey water, followed by vitamins.

2. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Could a predator have injured her neck? Sounds like you are on top of it. Hope you pulled her through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by