Sick Duckling???

Cantim

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
I'm very new to owning ducks. Received my first ducklings 2 weeks ago which are now almost 3 weeks old.
I have started noticing my Pekin will breathe fast/hard at times, pant occasionally, and possibly wheezing. You can deff hear him breathing.
Should I be looking out for anything in particular as I am still not sure what is "normal duck behavior". Very worried

Is it happening when he is resting, or just when stressed or really active? He could also be too hot. Pekins will pant and breathe heavily at times. They're big, they grow fast, and they don't tolerated being overheated well. I would check those things before moving on to possible illness.

Is it happening when he is resting, or just when stressed or really active? He could also be too hot. Pekins will pant and breathe heavily at times. They're big, they grow fast, and they don't tolerated being overheated well. I would check those things before moving on to possible illness.

He does do it more when resting, and I have turned off the heat lamp when it seems to get bad. Helps a little.
What worries me more is the sound of his breathing. Just for the fact that I CAN HEAR him breathing at all. He also seems to sometimes rest with his head down or laying flat sometimes. Normal? Other than that he eats like a pig!!!

I'd be worried too! Lol. Of course, I worry about everything. Are they inside? What sort of bedding do you use? Do they have water deep enough to clean their nares? Unless you're seeing obvious signs of respiratory infection (discharge, swelling, lethargy, not eating/drinking, etc.) I would try to rule out all the possible environmental causes before totally freaking out.

One of my first Pekins was a "heavy breather" for lack of a better description. I was so worried, but aside from that, she acted totally normal. She grew out of it.

I've also found my ducklings sleeping in a wild variety of positions. Eating like a pig is a good sign!

I'd be worried too! Lol. Of course, I worry about everything. Are they inside? What sort of bedding do you use? Do they have water deep enough to clean their nares? Unless you're seeing obvious signs of respiratory infection (discharge, swelling, lethargy, not eating/drinking, etc.) I would try to rule out all the possible environmental causes before totally freaking out.

They have been inside in a 50g tote(w shelf liner) but have deff outgrown that so now live in my kitchen
On nice days (60•+) Iv put them outside in a temp pen with a heat lamp and Timothy hay bedding. Water bowl could be deeper, so I just gave them one which is now also all over my kitchen. I will say he seems a more lethargic than the other. Going out now to get some apple cider vinegar as I read that could pep them up a little.
Leaving them inside for the day to watch him better. Should be a great day! I should also pick up a million paper towels

Yep, a million paper towels! It's a must! Lol.

If you can find poultry electrolytes, that might help more than the acv. I love acv, but there is a lot of dispute about it's use for babies. Some people swear by it, and some people swear against it. Everyone seems to agree on the electrolytes though!

I have kept ducklings and chicks in my house. That being said, I have asthma, so there are very limited chemicals in my home. I just can't use them. Any artificial scents, cleaning products, etc. are hard on birds. Also, cooking with teflon cookware is dangerous for birds. Teflon toxicity does cause respiratory symptoms. Just brainstorming.

Try moving them out to the Duck pen...The air flow in the brooder might not be enough and they are getting too warm....Ducklings do not require as much heat as Chicken Chicks do....[/QUOTE

They've been outside on nice days, living in my kitchen other than that brooder only at night. But last night when I noticed he wasn't doing well I stopped the brooder all together. Haven't put them out tho incase it's something out there.
Made a vet appt for him this afternoon

Back
Top Bottom