Sick duckling...

maranda

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Bermuda dunes, ca
Hi everyone! I have 2, 2 week old ducklings. This morning I had them in an enclosed area with me in the garden when one of the ducklings just collapsed. We don't know what to do! She i s barely moving and not eating or drinking. She has pooped some white liquid. We thought maybe she ate something? or got stung by a wasp?She was really going after some red ants. We live in the desert and it was 86 degrees when we were outside and they have constant access to chick starter, water and grit. Any advice would be much appriciated!

Do you see any signs of a sting or bite? Garden? what could she have eaten? I’d get her inside where she can rest from the heat and offer fresh water close by don’t try an force her to drink or eat if she isn’t coherent. At her age I’d say red ants could cause a problem check her out real good for bites on feet an legs.

Oh, no! If it happened super suddenly, I'd agree that it's likely something she ate. Maybe swallowed something too large? Have you fully checked her over for any wounds?

Do you see any signs of a sting or bite? Garden? what could she have eaten? I’d get her inside where she can rest from the heat and offer fresh water close by don’t try an force her to drink or eat if she isn’t coherent. At her age I’d say red ants could cause a problem check her out real good for bites on feet an legs.

Thank u! We did find a stinger/ sticker on the bottom of her foot . She has been drinking a little water on her own and pooping more normalally but is not moving much. I love this little baby so much...I hope this will pass!

We did and goings stinger/ sticker in her foot:\ she is drinking some water in her own and working up a tiny bit. So scary and sad😥 thank u for ur reply!
Good news! She probably just had a bit of a fright. My little call duck tried to eat an earwig when he was just a bitty thing, and it pinched him... he was terrified for a full five minutes!

hi again...I put out a post earlier about a sick duckling. She is now eating a bit and drinking but still can't stand. We r thinking more and more she may have stepped on a wasp.
we pulled a red stinger/ sticker out of her foot and there are a few wasps that hang out in the garden near the coop. Has anyone had experience with this? I feel so bad for this little baby

Back
Top Bottom