Sick duckling?

RouenDuck

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2013
One of my duckling was underneath its mother, and it started peeping. When I drew it out from underneath her, it was panting. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem because it's 85 degrees out. Anyway, a little bit later I noticed it shaking its head and it looked like it had something stuck in its throat, and then brown foam started to come out of its nose and regular bubbles started to come out of its mouth (meaning it wasn't brown). After a bit it stopped, and started drinking a lot but I could still see brown in its nose. What's the matter with it? Is it sick? What should I do to help it?

One of my duckling was underneath its mother, and it started peeping. When I drew it out from underneath her, it was panting. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem because it's 85 degrees out. Anyway, a little bit later I noticed it shaking its head and it looked like it had something stuck in its throat, and then brown foam started to come out of its nose and regular bubbles started to come out of its mouth (meaning it wasn't brown). After a bit it stopped, and started drinking a lot but I could still see brown in its nose. What's the matter with it? Is it sick? What should I do to help it?
Can you put a shallow pan with some tepid water in where they are to see if the little one will bath and cool off? also does it have a bowl deep enough to wash out it's nose and eyes. It may have had feed stuck. usually when they shake their heads they have something stuck. How old and are there more duckling and how are they acting?

It does have a bowl deep enough to wash its eyes, they hatched last afternoon and this morning, and it has three siblings (actually four, but one hatched five days early and the mother chased it away).

Now it just keeps on peeping in a slightly agitated way no matter what, although it calms down slightly when I put it on my lap with the abandoned duckling with my hand over it. And when I put it down, it stumbles in the direction of its mother until it finds her or the water dish. Why does it keep peeping? I wondered if it was blind because it kept peeping even when it was by its mother, but it doesn't seem like it.

Now it just keeps on peeping in a slightly agitated way no matter what, although it calms down slightly when I put it on my lap with the abandoned duckling with my hand over it. And when I put it down, it stumbles in the direction of its mother until it finds her or the water dish. Why does it keep peeping? I wondered if it was blind because it kept peeping even when it was by its mother, but it doesn't seem like it.

If it's stumbling around be very careful of the water dish you don't want it falling into it and drowning. I don't know what could be going on did it hatch by itself with out help and is mama attentive to it and the others? will it cuddle up with the others? If it found it's mama then it's probably not blind.

It could be stumbling because it's young, but some of the other ducklings walk a lot better. It hatched by itself and the mother takes care of it and the others.

It could be stumbling because it's young, but some of the other ducklings walk a lot better. It hatched by itself and the mother takes care of it and the others.

That's good mama is taking care of it, best thing would be to give them some space and let mama and babies settle down for now, first week is crucial for mama and ducklings to bond so best to leave them alone as much as you can. Before they start eating and drinking good get some poultry vitamins or save a chick and add to their drinking water[ okay for mom too] this will give them a good boost in the first week also. This duckling may just need a little more time to get settled it's hard work hatching.
wink.png
Please keep us posted on how it and the others are doing. Thanks.

Is the poultry vitamins okay for chickens? I have them in the same pen as the chickens. Also, my sister suggested that the organs weren't done developing when it hatched. Would it even hatch by itself if its organs weren't done developing?

The poultry vitamins ought to be fine for the chickens, I believe it is okay for both ducks and chickens.

Reading what Miss Lydia wrote, I think she was suggesting that momma and ducklings have their own space for a week or so. Did I understand that, Miss Lydia?

Last edited:
The poultry vitamins ought to be fine for the chickens, I believe it is okay for both ducks and chickens.

Reading what Miss Lydia wrote, I think she was suggesting that momma and ducklings have their own space for a week or so. Did I understand that, Miss Lydia?
Yes Amiga mom and duckling will do so much better if they have time to be by themselves, and chickens can be cruel to ducklings especially when first hatched they need time to gain strength and learn to get away from an angry hen or rooster.

How's everyone doing this morning?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom