Sick feral pigeon need some help

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
So today my mum came walking down the driveway and called me over. In the box she was carrying there was this pigeon. Mum told me that the neighbor (who works at a school) found this pigeon and that the kids at the school were picking it up.

When I picked it up I noticed how skinny, boney and light it was. I washed it and sprayed some lice stuff on it and put it in a cage. It had started eating straight away, and I also put some water in with cocci treatment and apple cider vinegar which it hasn’t touched.

What should I do?

Here’s some photos of it:
8E7B878F-778F-455A-B15E-C5F7ADE31202.jpeg
6606C4DF-7AB0-4626-9E9C-48DF9C48CF1E.jpeg
85D5DC62-0E3F-4422-A4E3-291FAAA05BD1.jpeg

Just give fresh clean water in the beginning. There is no indication that it has cocci. ACV may also give an odor that may be less than desired.
Your feral looks weak and malnourished. Food in the wild tends to be scarce. If you have some grit available, throw some on the paper next to the seeds.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as always:highfive:

I find quite a few feral pigeons in my garden in the same condition at various times of the year, some make a full recovery but sadly some are just too far gone to help. At least you tried, and it died in a warm secure place knowing not all humans are heartless and uncaring so well done to you for trying.

Really sorry about your bird. You did a kind thing, and at least it died in comfortable surroundings. That's something.
Just a suggestion for next time... When a bird is all skin and bones like that it is said to have "gone light." It's important to get fluids in, and often the bird cannot drink enough on its own to recover. I use a plastic 60 cc syringe to fill the crop with water and electrolytes. IF you can get somebody to show you how to do it - you don't wanna drown the poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom