Sick Flock—Respiratory?

LittleBoPeep1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
Some members of my flock seem to be falling ill:(
My rooster (7yrs old) is very lethargic but still eating and drinking. Acting very droopy and sneezing. Foul smell coming from him.
My first hen’s (7 yrs old) eyes have been occasionally swelling shut. Eating and drinking but also sneezing. Her symptoms were the first to appear and haven’t gotten better or worse.
My second sick hen (6yrs old) is simply sneezing and has gurgling noises coming from her throat.

I got some new chicks that were sneezing but also had coccidiosis (fully treated now), so I don’t know if there was any correlation. I don’t know if my chickens are just getting old (the younger hens in my flock seem unaffected) or if they are actually sick. I have been treating the flock with ocytetracycline. What should I be doing to help my flock?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Coryza requires treatment with antibiotics which your vet will be able to prescribe. If you cannot get your chicken to the vet immediately, be sure to isolate her from the rest of the flock until you can. Keep her in a warm, dry place and giving her food, water, garlic, and apple cider vinegar.Jun 15, 2017
Does My Chicken Have Coryza? - Backyard Chicken Coops

https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/coryza-in-chickens

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...hrome.1.0l6.6487j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi Littlebopeep!
When you got your new chicks did you quarantine them? It sounds like they brought in something with them.
Where are you located? Is it warm or cold where you are?
If it is not too cold I would not separate the ill birds, if it is a contagious illness they have, your whole flock has already been exposed so seperation would be unnecessary unless to medicate or keep warm the symptom showing birds.

Do any of your chickens present with bubbly eyes or discharge from their eyes/nose?
Any labored breathing?
Some respiratory illness will be unresponsive to antibiotics. Have a read of the attached to compare they symptoms you are seeing with common respiratory illnesses.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
You said your rooster is smelly, can you take a look in his beak and see if there is anything in there which looks suspicious? Photos of the effected birds could also help a lot!

Often times respiratory ailments can be caused due to lack of ventilation in the coop. Pictures of your coop may help here also. Make sure your chickens have plenty of airflow - draft free.

Others will be along with a lot more experience than me so hang in there!!

Thank you for your response! The first hen sometimes has bubbley eyes when her facial swelling goes down a bit. This hen was exhibiting these symptoms before the chicks came. The chickens have somewhat labored breathing but mostly sneezing. My coop does have good ventilation, but is is getting pretty cold outside (down to 8 degrees). I am getting a new chicken coming this week and am really concerned about him (I can keep him separated and quarantined) Does anyone know more about a vaccination for Coryza that I could give to the new chicken coming in before he is exposed? Maybe I should vaccinate all my healthy hens too??? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Some members of my flock seem to be falling ill:(
My rooster (7yrs old) is very lethargic but still eating and drinking. Acting very droopy and sneezing. Foul smell coming from him.
My first hen’s (7 yrs old) eyes have been occasionally swelling shut. Eating and drinking but also sneezing. Her symptoms were the first to appear and haven’t gotten better or worse.
My second sick hen (6yrs old) is simply sneezing and has gurgling noises coming from her throat.

I got some new chicks that were sneezing but also had coccidiosis (fully treated now), so I don’t know if there was any correlation. I don’t know if my chickens are just getting old (the younger hens in my flock seem unaffected) or if they are actually sick. I have been treating the flock with ocytetracycline. What should I be doing to help my flock?
Thanks!

first hen sometimes has bubbley eyes when her facial swelling goes down a bit. This hen was exhibiting these symptoms before the chicks came. The chickens have somewhat labored breathing but mostly sneezing

I am getting a new chicken coming this week and am really concerned about him (I can keep him separated and quarantined)

Can you post some photos?
The rooster that has a foul smell coming from him, look inside the beak and throat- any mucous, yellow or white plaques or canker?

If you have vet care, that is best. If they have respiratory illness accompanied by a bad odor, then my best guess would be you are dealing with Infectious Coryza. Sometimes there can be more than one respiratory disease that presents at a time. You're mentioning of bubbly eyes sounds like Mycoplasma.
Getting some testing to find out what you have would make your treatment efforts more effective. If it's Infectious Coryza, the usually a sulfa drug needs to be administered, this can be used in conjunction with an antibiotic like Tylan50.

If there is facial swelling and/or pus and discharge in the eyes, flush the eyes with saline and remove any pus that you see. Apply an eye ointment 2-3times a day. Look for Terramycin eye ointment.

As for the new chicken coming in? Whatever you are dealing with right now, to me, is a contagious respiratory disease. Recovered chickens and those that have been housed/exposed would all be considered carries. Even if you wait until everyone is better, he could still become sick.
It would be good if you quarantine him to make sure he's not sick or bringing in anything else.
For vaccine information, contact the manufacturer.

I would not bring in any more chickens until you find out what disease(s) that is going around your flock. Some diseases can be present with a secondary disease complicating thing.s vaccines are not the answer with coryza. But you may be dealing with mycoplasma or a combo of diseases. Call your state vet or local agricultural extension agent or NPIP inspector to find out where to get testing. Most respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, ILT, can make your whole flock carriers. Antibiotcs such as Tylan and Sulfadimethoxine or other sulfa drugs can help symptoms, but do not cure the disease. Read the good link that @Cragg Klefor gave in post 7 to compare your symptoms. Close your flock. Get a necropsy if you have a death or cull a sick bird. Here is a link for necropsies and for questions for your state vet:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom