Sick henšŸ˜¢HELP

chickiemom920

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
I am new to raising backyard chickens. We inherited 17 hens and have had them for 4weeks. One of my girls fell ill FAST! She was hiding under the coop last night when i went to close up the coop. She was fluffed up with her tail down, head down eyes closed. She seemed ok the morning before - however I was treating the run area and some chickens with DE for mites and when I went to toss a pinch on the back of another hen my sick girl bobbed under my hand and got some in her eye and on her comb and head. She shook and sneezed and seemed fine. However that night was when I found her under the coop. We put her in the coop for then night and she nested up in a box. I pulled her out today as she has not moved nor improved. She had water feces on shavings under her and she was non reactive with one eye open. The other eye is shut. I put her in a pine bed shaving crate in the garage to keep her warm. I tried to get her to drink or eat she wouldnā€™t do either. I felt her back end and under belly for possible egg bound but it felt like soft tissue no lumps???? She is failing fast and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m too late but I donā€™t even know what to treat her for?? They did have mites but I I was using DE to treat coop and run and chickens and didnā€™t see signs of infestation on her so I contemplated maybe anemic?? Anyone have suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!!

I am new to raising backyard chickens. We inherited 17 hens and have had them for 4weeks. One of my girls fell ill FAST! She was hiding under the coop last night when i went to close up the coop. She was fluffed up with her tail down, head down eyes closed. She seemed ok the morning before - however I was treating the run area and some chickens with DE for mites and when I went to toss a pinch on the back of another hen my sick girl bobbed under my hand and got some in her eye and on her comb and head. She shook and sneezed and seemed fine. However that night was when I found her under the coop. We put her in the coop for then night and she nested up in a box. I pulled her out today as she has not moved nor improved. She had water feces on shavings under her and she was non reactive with one eye open. The other eye is shut. I put her in a pine bed shaving crate in the garage to keep her warm. I tried to get her to drink or eat she wouldnā€™t do either. I felt her back end and under belly for possible egg bound but it felt like soft tissue no lumps???? She is failing fast and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m too late but I donā€™t even know what to treat her for?? They did have mites but I I was using DE to treat coop and run and chickens and didnā€™t see signs of infestation on her so I contemplated maybe anemic?? Anyone have suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!!
When you inherited the hens, were they moved to a different property?
Have you checked her crop function?
DE will not treat mites. You need to use either Permethrin or Elector PSP.

Thank you for responding! Yes the hens were moved to my property and I had a new coop setup and an enclosed covered run. I do not let them free range just yet, like they were used to, as I want to make sure they know where their safe haven is. I want to be sure they know to come back to the coop at night because they were completely relocated. Her crop is not full or hard. I felt her chest and her under belly and it was soft with no hard lumps. Iā€™m completely baffled??

Thank you for responding! Yes the hens were moved to my property and I had a new coop setup and an enclosed covered run. I do not let them free range just yet, like they were used to, as I want to make sure they know where their safe haven is. I want to be sure they know to come back to the coop at night because they were completely relocated. Her crop is not full or hard. I felt her chest and her under belly and it was soft with no hard lumps. Iā€™m completely baffled??
Can you post a picture of her?
Your description of her body posture and the fact that they were moved to new ground makes me think she may have coccidiosis. If she were my bird, I would treat the flock ASAP with Corid and I would drench her twice a day with 1/4 tsp Corid for 3 days in a row in addition to the Corid water that should be the flocks sole source of water.

Can you post a picture of her?
Your description of her body posture and the fact that they were moved to new ground makes me think she may have coccidiosis. If she were my bird, I would treat the flock ASAP with Corid and I would drench her twice a day with 1/4 tsp Corid for 3 days in a row in addition to the Corid water that should be the flocks sole source of water.

Sadly enough I lost my poor girl while I was out. šŸ˜­ We just buried her. I looked her over she was not egg bound no trouble with crop. We did find her quite a few mites under her wings but not really bad? Would it hurt to treat rest of the flock with the Corid if they are not showing symptoms of Cocci just to be safe?? Luckily I have my 4 week old chicks still separated in the garage.

I also purchased Perethrin and I will treat the outside coop tonight when I put the hens in. Then tomorrow I will treat inside coop while they are out - just to be sure they are not mite infested as well. I will treat them tomorrow with foods like broccoli and spinach to help with anemia just in case.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom