sick hen..can anyone help with symptoms?

yogini67

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
My hen Ella has recently molted...she got her feathers back and started laying again...a week or two i noticed a few of her feathers in the coop, she stopped laying and got a bit pale again...I noted some tiny white spots on her comb like she had when she was molting...today I noticed on her comb a flat white spot getting larger...she has been eating, but not as well and is kind of not as peppy as she usually is...i live in Florida so it's pretty warm...though today is cool and it's been a bit rainy...Will post pics later when I get home...thank you...

Pale skin can be from mites, worms, and coccidiosis. Is she having any diarrhea, puffing up with her neck pulled in, poor appetite, or ruffled feathers (symptoms of coccidiosis?) Corid (amprollium) for 5 days is the treatment. Check her all over and under the vent next to the skin for mites/lice or eggs. Dust with permetrin or 5% sevin dust if mites/lice found. Worming with fenbendazole 10% (SafeGuard Horse Paste or Liquid Goat Wormer,) or Valbazen will get all chickens worms. White patches on the comb can be dry skin or a fungal infection called favus. Favus is treated with antifungal creams such as Lotrimin, Tinactin, and Miconazole. A picture will be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom