sick hen help.pls!!!

Jun 20, 2020
My 4 year old hen has been always fine, but today she somehow couldn't stand up, I noticied an issue within her legs so we brought her inside. She eats fine, walks but doesn't fly (not sure if it's because she's in with us, or she's too tired) but suddenly right now, she fell to the ground and had something similar to a seizure, then she wake up and is fine? She yawns alot, and opens her mouth like she's hot? I have given her vitamins and electrolytes, cold fruits but still. Hell pls

These symptoms could cover several things. If this hen is underweight, she could be weak from starvation, being bullied periodically away from the feeder.

It could be from it being very hot, and she's dehydrated.

Or it could be from an avian virus.

You are treating already for the first two. Keep that up, and offer boiled egg or fish to booster her energy. Also, put some sugar in her water for further energy.

You need to tell us about your climate where you live so we have an idea of other possible causes for these symptoms.

These symptoms could cover several things. If this hen is underweight, she could be weak from starvation, being bullied periodically away from the feeder.

It could be from it being very hot, and she's dehydrated.

Or it could be from an avian virus.

You are treating already for the first two. Keep that up, and offer boiled egg or fish to booster her energy. Also, put some sugar in her water for further energy.

You need to tell us about your climate where you live so we have an idea of other possible causes for these symptoms.
It's 33C, I haven't noticed her sneezing and her poop isn't runny. I've also checked her vent it's fine, are there any other symptoms of avian virus I need to look out for? I'm keeping her with me for a couple of days so I can monitor her more.

With an avian virus, symptoms get worse, not better, but there's no way to diagnose an avian virus unless a necropsy is done on a dead chicken from your flock.

If symptoms improve with the treatment you're doing, there probably isn't an avian virus involved. Two viruses, Marek's and lymphoid leucosis can cause the symptoms this hen has.

Back
Top Bottom