Sick hen.... Help

chubbchubb7

Songster
Apr 19, 2016
She sleeps a lot during the day and does what reminds me of snoring, breathing thru mouth, making noises. She does eat and drink. Any ideas? I've checked for mites/lice. Is it gape worms? If so somewhere I read about putting something down their throat (medicine) and then turning them upside down and the worms will fall out. Has anyone heard of this and know what you put down their throat?

Anytime there's a breathing issue, many people jump on the possibility of gapeworm (I did the same thing way back when...). Gapeworm is supposedly pretty rare. From what I've read, you can swab the back of her throat - if you see red, stringy looking things it'd be gapeworm. Is she keeping her beak open??? Safeguard is supposed to work on gapeworm (Tractor Supply/Rural King sells it), but I'm not sure of dosage. Safeguard is pretty safe, so even if you gave too much (3 days straight) it would most likely be okay - but do a search on dosage.

I'd probably figure on a respiratory infection instead of gapeworm. I prefer Tylan 50 for respiratory infections. Some will give it orally, but I've only injected it (1/2 cc for adult, standard sized bird - into breast muscle for three days/alternate breasts - 22 gauge needle).

Good luck - I hope your chicken recovers!

Thanks for the help. I will try the Tylan. She doesn't walk around with her beak open. She opens and closes when sleeping. Imagine a cartoon snoring and that is what she looks like, complete with some noise.
With the Tylan or Safeguard is there a period where you cannot eat the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom