Sick hen. I have a question...

JanaBanana1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
My hen wasnt eating and sleeping all day/night. So I brought her in house and felt her crop and it was a big gas bubble. She was vomiting a bit. I gave her olive oil, baking soda, apple cider vinegar & garlic all mixed together and fed that to her and leaned her forward and massaged her crop. She vomited a mass amount of what looked like dirty water. I got it completely emptied and I then gave her some pedialite. She laid around for about an hour and then I scrambled her some eggs and she perked up and pigged it down. I left the house for several hours and when I checked on her again her crop filled up with air again so I leaned her forward and massaged it again and she vomited out brown dirty watery stuff again. With some egg. She has pooped once, and it was sorta of watery. Why is her crop filling up with gassy stuff? Its not compacted like a full crop?

Last edited:
Saw your post while researching help for my duck. Not an expert myself, but first thing that came to mind was a possibility of "sour crop". Have read references to it many times before on here. Just type it into the search field. Might even be in the "Sticky Notes" area at the top of this forum. Also, I don't know if you're aware of this, but mixing baking soda and vinegar causes a chemical reaction (gasous). We use the mix to clear a slow/clogged drain pipe. Could account for the gas build-up second time. Not much help, I know, but hope maybe someone else more knowledgeable will come thru with the right answer for you. Know how frustrating it can be when one of our pets is sick and we're clueless on what's wrong or the right course of action is. Best of luck!
hugs.gif

Thank you. I will look up sour crop.... Good luck with your sick duck. I hope everything turns out well for you.

I'm sooo sorry to hear that
sad.png
... It's never easy to lose one of our pets. I've cried over every one of the ones I've lost. Just know you're not alone.
hugs.gif

I've found the info on this site invaluable in figuring out stuff, usually after alot of research and reading...and sometimes after the fact. Hopefully, eventually, you'll come across something that will help you figure out definitely what was wrong with your girl, too.
Unfortunately, keeping animals comes with some heartache, and lots of trial/error... but it also comes with untold reward and joy too!
Many hugs!

(PS: I'm still fighting to save one of my ducks. Still don't know exactly what's caused her sudden onset of symptoms. Suspect some kind of poisoning. Suffice it to say, I'm tube feeding her every 3-4 hrs. as she's unable to eat or drink on her own (info I found on here, thank goodness). She's hanging in there and I'm not giving up!)

Awww I am sorry to hear about your duck. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job helping her. I hope you are able to find out what is wrong with her and she is on the mend.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks again BlessedMaMaw.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom