Sick hen...Impacted crop and not walking at all

candi80

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2017
Polk City, FL
So I have a hen that we noticed yesterday that wasn't moving at all, even when we were filling up the feeders. Hubby brought her in and I took a look at her and noticed her crop was really sticking out and was hard. Told hubby that it was an impacted crop and proceeded to give her water and massage the crop. I honestly don't know how long she has been like that because she is so weak she isn't walking. If she moves at all it's cause she is pivoting on her stomach.she reeks to high heaven but it's an ammonia smell, like she was sitting in her filth before hubby brought her in. Honestly I haven't checked her vent, but I noticed her feathers were looking caked up a bit underneath. I'm at a loss here. I'm not seeing any signs of improvement and I think she might be getting worse cause this morning when I picked her up I noticed a slight panting sound when she was breathing. Vet isn't an option at the moment. Seeking help and some saged advice

Oh, poor hen. Her crop didn't clear overnight, then? I wish I had really good advice. I've had a hen with an impacted crop that took over a day to clear. I gave her some grit, olive oil, lots of water, and massage. It's so important to keep them hydrated, so add electrolytes to her water. If she isn't drinking on her own, I would tube her. That way you know it's going to the crop and not in the lungs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no, she isn't better but I just took a look at her vent and doesn't look good. I have her soaking right now in a warm bath so I can clean her up to get a better gander at it. Looking like I got a double whammy....Vent and crop problems. My 3 and 4 yr old have named her Ms. Feathers.lol

So I have a hen that we noticed yesterday that wasn't moving at all, even when we were filling up the feeders. Hubby brought her in and I took a look at her and noticed her crop was really sticking out and was hard. Told hubby that it was an impacted crop and proceeded to give her water and massage the crop. I honestly don't know how long she has been like that because she is so weak she isn't walking. If she moves at all it's cause she is pivoting on her stomach.she reeks to high heaven but it's an ammonia smell, like she was sitting in her filth before hubby brought her in. Honestly I haven't checked her vent, but I noticed her feathers were looking caked up a bit underneath. I'm at a loss here. I'm not seeing any signs of improvement and I think she might be getting worse cause this morning when I picked her up I noticed a slight panting sound when she was breathing. Vet isn't an option at the moment. Seeking help and some saged advice
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Did her crop empty overnight?
Any swelling of the abdomen or feeling like she is bloated?
How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

If she smells terrible you need to find out why. If she has poop/debris caked on her bum and underneath, place her in a warm tub of soapy water to get her cleaned up a bit. For really caked on poop try letting her soak for a few minutes then work the soapy water into the feathers - you can also carefully cut out any that is stubborn to come out.

Once you have her cleaned up, it's easier to inspect the skin and vent. Check her over well for anything like wounds, cuts, etc. to make sure the smell is not from some type of infected cut or the vent.

Keep her warm and offer some vitamins in her water if you have them. Hydration is most important.

Let us know how she is doing.

I'm on the second round of soaking her in warm water. Her whole vent want full of hard poop. The only thing I can feel is the crop and vent poking out, so I'm assuming the crop never emptied out. I honestly can't answer about the egg cause we have over 20 hens and my girls just drop their eggs where ever they want. I'm soaking her now to to get a better assessment. The smell is definitely an ammonia smell, very strong urine smell. I just hope she isn't too far gone

Last edited:
I'm on the second round of soaking her in warm water. Her whole vent want full of hard poop. The only thing I can feel is the crop and vent poking out, so I'm assuming the crop never emptied out. I honestly can't answer about the egg cause we have over 20 eggs and my girls just drop their eggs where ever they want. I'm soaking her now to to get a better assessment. The smell is definitely an ammonia smell, very strong urine smell. I just hope she isn't too far gone
Sorry about all that instruction in the previous post
big_smile.png
I was apparently typing when you were posting.

If you have some it, add some epsom salts to the bath water.

She may be "clogged up" for the lack of better term (if she was impacted on the backside, then that may be why the crop didn't empty). See if you can get some of the hardened poop softened up and gently removed. If the vent is poking out, then she may have or have had a prolapse as well. You may need to try to work some mineral oil around the vent (coconut oil, honey, hemorrhoid cream, etc.) something to help lubricate so the poop can come out.

If she had a prolapse, it's possible she may be egg bound as well, especially if she is not pooping. Do the best you can to see if you can help clear the vent. If she has an egg stuck in there it can be fatal if not removed.

Not sure of her age, we take over the hens from BIL in November/December and I think he said they have to be at least 2 yrs old. So after her second soak, while still in the water, I gently rubbed the poop out of her vent. I got my finger in all the way passed my finger nail. When I took her out the vent hole closed up. Could her entire gastric system be bound up? Honestly I can't tell if there is an egg in there, this is my first time being this up close and personal with the little ladies.

It sounds like a blockage at the back end may have backed up as far as her crop. How does her body condition feel....is she skin and bone under her feathers or reasonably well covered? Unfortunately there will be most likely be an underlying ailment that is causing the blockage. Tumours are common in high production hens. When you say her vent is poking out, do you mean she has a prolapse?

Last edited:
Well done for inserting a finger to examine inside....you may need to do so several more times during subsequent baths and you should get more confident about it with each attempt. Make sure to give her a nice warm blow dry after her bath. She may need regular soaks, lubrication and massages both to crop and vent to get things moving. Does her vent look like it is pulsing? That usually indicates an egg stuck/bound.

Back
Top Bottom