Sick hen - mites, pain, not moving much

GenGen3

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2021
Hello. I'm very new to owning chickens. I acquired 3 hens from a farmer that didn't take the best care of them. All 3 have scaley leg mites and a few other critters running around on their skin. I've treated them all with dewormer and will wait to see if that works. One of the hens has exceptionally bad feet and I came out to find that she had a partially severed toe a couple of days ago which I amputated and bandaged. I've been treating all feet with peroxide and Vaseline and it seems to be working but the hen with the worst feet seems to be in a lot of pain; the scales are falling off and her feet look almost raw. I'm going to try to give her some medicam but just wondering how do I know if I should take steps to end her suffering via euthanasia or continue treating her? She is an 18m old barnevelder, sits alone in the bottom of the coop. She is eating a little and "drinking" snow. I haven't seen her drink water or poop recently. Any advice would be appreciated. 🙏

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?
Can you please post some photos of the hens and their feet?

What did you deworm with - product and dose?
Have you treated for the critters running around on the skin? Permethrin dust or spray can be found at stores like TSC.

I would not use any more peroxide on the feet. Just vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment if the skin is raw.

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?
Can you please post some photos of the hens and their feet?

What did you deworm with - product and dose?
Have you treated for the critters running around on the skin? Permethrin dust or spray can be found at stores like TSC.

I would not use any more peroxide on the feet. Just vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment if the skin is raw.
Hi. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I dewormed with 0.1 ml of ivermecton. I have not treated for the skin critters yet and will try your suggestions. Here is a picture of the hen's feet taken about 2 weeks ago. They have less mites now but more raw 😪 I gave her a warm bath today and she loved it so much she fell asleep 💞

Attachments

• 20211218_153507.jpg
    20211218_153507.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211224_161145.jpg
    20211224_161145.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 6
The ivermectin, what is the strength? If using the 5 mg per ml pour-on, the dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat it in 2 weeks. It can help treat the lice or mites, but may not be totally effective for worms. For leg mites, it may be best to keep doing the warm soaks to the legs, and then dry the legs, and apply vaseline to the legs until new scales start growing.

The ivermectin, what is the strength? If using the 5 mg per ml pour-on, the dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat it in 2 weeks. It can help treat the lice or mites, but may not be totally effective for worms. For leg mites, it may be best to keep doing the warm soaks to the legs, and then dry the legs, and apply vaseline to the legs until new scales start growing.
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely follow it. I'm not sure she's going to make it unfortunately. I'm also wondering at what point do I decide that she's not going to recover and is suffering unnecessarily... I feel euthanasia is humane sometimes 😕 Definitely sad tho. 😔

Back
Top Bottom