Sick Hen, Need advice in Oklahoma

ol-jswartz

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Kellyville Oklahoma
I Live near Sapulpa / Tulsa Oklahoma. Does anyone know of a Vet that sees Poultry in my area?
I put a hen down last week that couldn't walk and another is sick now, very thin, pail, when she drinks she dips her beak but doesn't tip her head back to take the water down and it just runs back out of her mouth. She is hanging out in the hen house by herself. No problem with sinuses either. Not feeling good. Can I buy a antibiotic anywhere without seeing a vet?

I Live near Sapulpa / Tulsa Oklahoma. Does anyone know of a Vet that sees Poultry in my area?
I put a hen down last week that couldn't walk and another is sick now, very thin, pail, when she drinks she dips her beak but doesn't tip her head back to take the water down and it just runs back out of her mouth. She is hanging out in the hen house by herself. No problem with sinuses either. Not feeling good. Can I buy a antibiotic anywhere without seeing a vet?

I'm sorry for your loss and that you have another that is not doing well.
How old is your hen?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What do you feed?

Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. Feel of her abdomen, do you feel any bloat/swelling or what could be fluid?

The symptoms you describe could be a number of things, if possible seek vet care. Antibiotics could possibly help, but you need a clear diagnosis or a very good "guess" on what is causing her decline.
Poultry DVM has a vet listed for you area http://www.poultrydvm.com/practices/forest-trails-animal-hospital

I'm sorry for your loss and that you have another that is not doing well.
How old is your hen?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What do you feed?

Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. Feel of her abdomen, do you feel any bloat/swelling or what could be fluid?

The symptoms you describe could be a number of things, if possible seek vet care. Antibiotics could possibly help, but you need a clear diagnosis or a very good "guess" on what is causing her decline.
Poultry DVM has a vet listed for you area http://www.poultrydvm.com/practices/forest-trails-animal-hospital
Thanks so much for the information!

Back
Top Bottom