Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
Hi everyone
I have a sick quail and have to wait to see the vet and wanting to know how to help her in the meantime.

This quail has gotten herself sick by repeatedly dunking her whole head in water when she goes for a drink. I didnt know she was doing this until i saw that her white feathers where all stained and had to watch her to find out why. As soon as i realised what she was doing i isolated her with a different waterer.

She was not showing any signs of illness at this point but now seems to have nasel discharge, mouth breathing and vertigo.

Ive given her suppliments and put her in a nice cozy cage inside. Is there a way i can start treating her until i can get her to the vet?

Do you have photos of her?

Any lesions inside the beak?

How about her ears, any infection in the ears?

If you have vet care, that's best. The dunking of the head is interesting, I wonder if she was trying to clear her nostrils.
If her nostrils are clogged, try wiping them out so it's easier for her to breath.

Work on keeping her hydrated and eating.

Do you have photos of her?

Any lesions inside the beak?

How about her ears, any infection in the ears?

If you have vet care, that's best. The dunking of the head is interesting, I wonder if she was trying to clear her nostrils.
If her nostrils are clogged, try wiping them out so it's easier for her to breath.

Work on keeping her hydrated and eating.
Thank you so much for the reply.
I did manage to find an exotic vet willing to take her in early.
Shes got a sinus infection and is on broad spectrum anitibiotics until the pathology comes back.
But we dont know if the head dunking was the cause or not 🤔

Thank you so much for the reply.
I did manage to find an exotic vet willing to take her in early.
Shes got a sinus infection and is on broad spectrum anitibiotics until the pathology comes back.
But we dont know if the head dunking was the cause or not 🤔
I'm glad you were able to see the vet, I hope she gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom