Sick hen, not egg bound

JLoner

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2016
We have a hen who is just over a year old. She is displaying all signs of being egg bound (including odd shape, parchment shell, double yolker and a teeny egg) but we can’t feel an egg in the duct. She hasn’t laid an egg in almost 2 weeks but just started acting sick a couple of days ago.
We have her separate from the flock and have been feeding her layer pellets, plain yogurt with a tums mixed in (only done this once). We have given her two warm baths in Epsom salts. Her comb is still nice and red and standing but she is definitely ill. Any ideas? I did purchase stress-aid and piperazine 52 but haven’t given it yet. TIA

How long have you been giving her the epsom salt bath soaks? I do not have personal experience with an egg bound hen, but I have heard that the baths sometimes need to be quite long and even repeated throughout the day before the hen releases the egg.

How long have you been giving her the epsom salt bath soaks? I do not have personal experience with an egg bound hen, but I have heard that the baths sometimes need to be quite long and even repeated throughout the day before the hen releases the egg.
We did it twice today, 20 minutes each.

My daughter tried to see if she had an egg, and she doesn’t. We also checked her crop but it seems fine as well. I gave her some stress-aid which she drank and then ate food but she’s still not moving much.

If you don't feel an egg, there may be something else going on. What kind of sickly behavior are you seeing and can you provide a picture or video?

You could try giving her some electrolytes and vitamins in her water as well as maybe feeding her some scrambled eggs and crushed tums for extra calcium and protein. All you can do for now is to keep her isolated and monitor her food and water intake as well as keep an eye on her poop for any changes in consistency. :( I hope she gets better.

Someone on another list suggest this, and I think it is what she has. Water belly, usually fatal.

https://thecapecoop.com/water-belly-ascetis-in-chickens/
Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I could say she has try is issue, so we could get her fixed - but 99.9% sure it’s not.
We’ve established she has a problem with her wing, it may be broken. And her back end is quite messy due to watery poops but otherwise fine (hasn’t laid an egg in a month). Her comb is a beautiful red still. She eating and drinking and trying to keep up with the flock. They aren’t picking on her at all.

Back
Top Bottom